Cliches In Photography

Mike_E

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
The Upper West Side of Mississippi (you have no i
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi everyone. I'm curious, what are your favorite and least favorite cliches in photography?

If you don't have a favorite or a least favorite just list what comes to your mind and what it signifies to you if you would.

I'll start. How about a portrait heavy on the soft focus to show the subject being the love of someone's life?

So what are your thoughts?

Hated: Blurred, washed-out waterfalls, that look totally unnatural.

skieur

Photogs that think black and white images are simply made by sliding the Saturation slider to the left.

Photogs that think black and white images are simply made by sliding the Saturation slider to the left.

I know what you mean and i can't stand it either; Seems to me like a lot of people just turn perfectly nice color images into mediocre and flat B&Ws just because these are considered more intellectual and artistic. I also can't stand when somebody tells me i am trying too hard to be artsy when i show them a B&W photo, and when they can't tell a difference from a mediocre conversion done just for the pure clichè of B&W from one with a logic behind it.

i don't know if what i said makes any sense whatsoever but i hope you understand,

Pete

Yes, I think so.

Would you agree that the heavier the grain in B&W the more somber the effect?

Yes, and it really works only with some kinds of photography ( candid and street come to mind ), and grain ( photoshop fake grain ) too is often miss-used to cover up for exposure errors...

I like the sexy girl cliches where 100s of awesome women all get together to adore me and dedicate their lives to making mine great. I'm convinced there's a photography cliche like that somewhere - I'm just having a little trouble locating it. :p

I like the sexy girl cliches where 100s of awesome women all get together to adore me and dedicate their lives to making mine great. I'm convinced there's a photography cliche like that somewhere - I'm just having a little trouble locating it. :p

Um,some cat named Hefner already took it.sorry. ;)

And on the vignette, is that mostly used to point out the focus or to mimic memory and peripheral subjects darkening to obscurity?

Flowers usually do it for me.

Yes, I have taken them as well. I also like gardening.

love motion blur in b/ws...
hate a lot of HDR.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back