Client Image CD

Arwinblue

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I have a question and I am hoping you can answer it for me: I have recently been asked to sell a cd of images to a client I am not sure of how to prepare the cd so they can print any size they want. They also want to use some of the pix in a magazine, hope you can help
Thanks
Linda

For commercial/editorial clients I put 16-bit, full resolution, non-layered TIFF files on a disc. For retail clients I put fully edited, medium resolution, JPEG files on a disc (8-bit). Retail usage was restricted to making prints for personal use only.

Generally, files intended for a commercial or editorial use in a magazine would required the purchase of an additional use license that clearly defined the terms of the usage on a per image basis.
Cost of the use license would be based on the number of images used, magazine print run size, geographical distribution of the magazine, and any other useage terms.
Licensing Guide | American Society of Media Photographers

Last edited:
great thanks for the information, it is very helpful....Linda

Just include the finished files in original size. The end user can then change the size as needed. If you're not sure where they'll be printed, you can save one version in the sRGB color space for labs, and one in the CMYK color space for magazines. Or, just save them in sRGB and let the client/magazine deal with color correction. What the client wanted should have been worked out ahead of time so you could know how to prepare the images. If you can, contact the magazine to get specs for how they want their files. Also, include a release stating the terms of how the images are to be used. Charge appropriately for the CD. Again this is stuff that should be agreed upon ahead of time.

I have a question and I am hoping you can answer it for me: I have recently been asked to sell a cd of images to a client I am not sure of how to prepare the cd so they can print any size they want. They also want to use some of the pix in a magazine, hope you can help
Thanks
Linda

A professional photographer would ask the client their requirements for the images, not us. They would also have the license spelled out in the signed contract.

Thanks
Linda

A professional photographer would ask the client their requirements for the images, not us. They would also have the license spelled out in the signed contract.

A polite poster would not make passive aggressive insults against a person who openly identified as a newbie and was asking for reasonable assistance.

@OP, basic, full resolution edited images in a folder is often sufficient, as mentioned above. If it's agreed upon in a contract, though, you could get way fancier (and charge accordingly): anything from custom-cropped images in the way the photographer intended for different aspect ratios to slideshows to who knows what all. If you think people will be willing to pay for XYZ and you make enough profit for the time it takes to do XYZ extra features, then by all means, offer XYZ as an option for how you deliver your product.

"A polite poster would not make passive aggressive insults against a person who openly identified as a newbie and was asking for reasonable assistance."

A proficient reader would see it as an attempt to show the OP that in the future, if they want to be taken seriously as a paid (hopefully) 'pro', this should all be arranged with the client ahead of the project.

Please understand that I was asked what I would charge for a CD, I am researching the information that I need to make a sound decision. I thought this was the place to find apparently I was naïve in thinking that everyone would be helpful.

ok great thanks for the info Gavjenks.... appreciate it

Ok...
" I have recently been asked to sell a cd of images to a client "
and
"Please understand that I was asked what I would charge for a CD"

It's still unclear what you are actually doing. Are these existing images of yours? Was this a custom shoot you did for someone? Is this a custom job you're wanting to take? That all helps you find the right answer. Plus, you should ask them how they want it delivered.

Commercial users of images have discovered that they can easily take financial advantage of photographers inexperienced in the business aspects of commercial photography.

However, the Creative Director, or the Art Director of the magazine should be your go-to source for what the magazine needs.

FWIW, commercial usage (advertising) pays the most.
Also, whichever party writes the contract/license has the advantage.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Creative_director
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Art_director

You should not be charging by the CD you should charge by the image. You should also charge more for higher res images then you charge for low res images.

Most reactions

Back