Watch the Birdy!
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
www.johnsphotography.ca
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
An interesting experience I had the other day: I received a call from a fellow who was starting up a real estate practice in my area, and wanted the usual headshots & social media images. He had some very specific ideas about what he wanted, one of which was that he wanted most if not all images shot against a white background. Fair enough... then he asked me what kind of equipment I used. I explained I used professional-grade Nikon lenses & bodies and professional lighting gear.

He asked me if I had a white background to which I responded, 'No' (somewhere I've got a 53" inch roll of white seamless, but that doesn't travel well), and wanted to know if I would change the colour in the computer. I explained that I could do that, but as it's always best to get the image as close to 'right' in the camera as one can, I would do it by controlling the lighting. He didn't seem at all happy with, or confident in my answer, and asked me if I was sure that would work. I explained that this would work perfectly, and there would be no issues with the background "colour"...

Since our schedules didn't work out, I didn't actually wind up doing the session (a good think I suspect), but I was a bit taken aback. I've had lots of people ask me how I will do something, and a few even ask what equipment I use, but I've never had one actually question my methodology.

Anyone else have a similar experience?

Not in photography, but in other lines of work.

So you chatted with a newbie, inexperienced photographer wanting some work done?

If I knew nothing at all about photography I wouldn't understand the "control it with lighting" concept either.

PS - As the mother of a 13 year old girl, my every move is questioned and critiqued.

Not in photography, but in other lines of work.
I guess it happens in every field...
So you chatted with a newbie, inexperienced photographer wanting some work done?
Very likely!
If I knew nothing at all about photography I wouldn't understand the "control it with lighting" concept either.

PS - As the mother of a 13 year old girl, my every move is questioned and critiqued.
Perhaps not, but if you hire a professional <trade> and he/she tells you that they're going to do something, would you lead off with , "That doesn't make sense" or ask more questions? The second part, well... that's a self-inflicted injury. Can't help you there! ;)
I would probably have sent him a quick example because I agree, it just went too far over his head.
Had we actually got to a face-to-face meeting I would have shown examples.
Not by any of us that raised girls through their teenage years who lived. :biggrin-93:
*Shudder*

Reminds me of the Mark Twain quote:
“When I was a boy of 14, my father was so ignorant I could hardly stand to have the old man around. But when I got to be 21, I was astonished at how much the old man had learned in seven years.”

Last edited:
Its like in audio, when someone wants to know "how many watts your speakers are."
I find there are 3 answers.
1) you actually explain SPL, power, and sensitivity, and either they are intrigued, or it goes over their heads.
2) The numbers are not important, and I can show you that these are loud and sound good.
3) 500,000 watts.

3 is usually the best answer.

I'm a wedding photographer. Everybody and their grandma at each of my wedding is suppose to be a better photographer than me. :D

Most reactions

New Topics

Back