Client Request: What's acceptable?

Azriel

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.knightlight.ca
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I'm curious what's acceptable in showing a client. Here's my example.

I shot an interior for a designer and she wanted a contact sheet before I touched them up. Me I'd rather touch them up first, at least a bit, they are RAW files, but I made a contact sheet and sent it.

She says now they're too small and she would like to come by, and go over them on my PC or larger.

Something told me it wasn't right, but I can't put it into words, am I crazy?

Processing is a part of ANY AND ALL photos. A photo (especially a RAW photo) without processing is like Barnes & Noble selling you a novel printed on A4 sheets of paper with an inkjet instead of properly printed and bound with a glossy cover.

I would say that you should find what she means by "touching up". Is she referring to normal processing? Run away. Is she referring to removing unwanted elements, cleaning up blemishes and removing spots? Well, the ethics or honesty of that for her to decide and for you discuss with her.

I would process them and offer to give her larger, watermarked sample prints. If they were "too small" for her the first time, she probably won't notice them that differently after you process them, assuming you have a "realistic" processing style (which you should if you're trying to be representative of a design).

^agreed.

If nothing else I would correct WB, contrast etc.

Once they were to the point they were technically correct to your standards then I would say that she could see them. My hunch is that she doesn't want you to take off scratches etc. without her knowledge. That, or she just wants to see a before and after.

Having her see them on your computer shouldn't be a problem (I wouldn't think), but I would still show her the images that were corrected to a technically correct standard.

I shot an interior for a designer and she wanted a contact sheet before I touched them up. Me I'd rather touch them up first, at least a bit, they are RAW files, but I made a contact sheet and sent it.

She says now they're too small and she would like to come by, and go over them on my PC or larger.

Something told me it wasn't right, but I can't put it into words, am I crazy?

That doesn't sound so far fetched to me. If she's only looking for a few of the best images, what's the point in having you edit all of them just for her to pick a few? And can you blame someone for wanting to see larger images before selecting the ones that they will use? After all, designers are usually visual people who are detail orientated.

I would consider this type of job to be a professional collaboration, so it would make sense to let the other party give you some input before you do more work than you need to.

I'm not saying you have to show her the untouched RAW images, but would it be so bad to show her the shots after only the basic RAW adjustments for color & tone etc?

Sure, it might get to be a problem if she starts trying to micromanage your editing...but that is a far cry from just wanting to see them on your monitor.

If you don't want clients coming to your home/office, that's fair too. Then maybe send her monitor sized files with a watermark or give her a set of proof prints etc.

Last edited:
Thanks for everyone great advice. I think I'll do a combo of what everyone said. I'll do some basic stuff like wb and exp, then send her another contact sheet with like 4 to a page or something.

It's only the same as they did years ago, print contact sheet and choose which they wanted to print or use in the advert

Interior designers are some of my best clients. Problem is they are all insane. If you survived the shoot the hard part is over. Keep in mind that interior designers are very colour oriented. Unless you have a weird colour cast hold off on WB and talk with the client. Having a client look over your shoulder is a tough deal, so it sounds like you are taking the right approach. No matter what make her happy.

Love & Bass

Last edited:
I went back and looked at my cover sheet. It was pretty damn small...i fit 20 shots to a page. So I am resending her a contact sheet that's 3 by 5, which incidentally is my new standard. :er:

Having a client look over your shoulder while you work is just asking to be micromanaged.

What do you think happens at a big studio shoot

+1

I went back and looked at my cover sheet. It was pretty damn small...i fit 20 shots to a page. So I am resending her a contact sheet that's 3 by 5, which incidentally is my new standard. :er:

Yes, that is definitely small. Especially for someone who is not used to dealing with contact sheets.

As for this person coming to you to look at them on your computer, why not? I don't see anything weird with the idea and I would rather that than doing on his/her computer which may not be color calibrated.

What do you think happens at a big studio shoot
Fair enough. I was referring to the processing step.

Same with PP. I've had people sitting outside my darkroom waiting on every print to make notes on what to correct :grumpy: and I would think it is even worse with digital because you don't have anyone who doesn't like "darkroom smells." :D

I don't let people see my untouched up work. I think the should only see what I want them to see of my work.

I don't let people see my untouched up work. I think the should only see what I want them to see of my work.

Arguably this is viable for the retail photographer. As a commercial photographer my client looks at most if not every single image in it's raw form. We work together and figure out what is working and what is not. I feel this is one of the benefits of digi. Instant gratification. For me the client needs to be 107.5% satisfied with the images before I pack my bags.

Love & Bass

Most reactions

Back