Client wants a re-shoot because she doesn't like the way she looks

When I do family sessions I'll usually do a re-shoot if a kid isn't cooperating or some other factor. I want them to have great images and a great shoot. I usually just up the minimum order so they have to buy more of my work, so I don't get screwed with a minimum order after my extra effort.

What I say is....

"Sure... we can do some additional photography."

But I would be sure she understands it's not going to go on all day.

Good luck. Let us know how it turns out.

-Pete

I think this is the best thing to be done...
Good luck

I would say "Mam I'm sorry but this is what we already agreed upon, you already said it wasn't me, but you. So we can work out some sort of discount but a complete free reshoot is out of the question due to the amount of effort and time is money in this business."

What would you do if you had painted her house and she decided she didn't like the color later?

How about offering to do the shoot at her home? She could even have her hair and make-up people there. Do a family shoot at the same time for 20% off and there you go. ;)

I would just re-shoot and give a percentage off. After all you did what you were hired to do, right?

In my case, no. I guarantee satisfaction.

I know it's just semantics, but I think this is worth mentioning:

I never call it a "re-shoot." When something needs re-doing, it implies it wasn't done completely or correctly. On the other hand, if additional work is necessary, it implies the original task as specified has been satisfactorily completed and now something more is required... additional photography.

Then it's up to me if I require additional payment.

So a re-shoot means I failed, whereas additional photography means I'm going the extra mile... doing something more than customary and usual.

One thing I'm sure of, I will never say, "Gotcha! You signed a contract (or we made an agreement) and now you have to pay more."

-Pete

I don't remember in what thread I read this, but never offer a "reshoot". Offer to take some additional shots. "Reshoot" implies that you messed up.

EDIT: ha, oops, two posts up :p

Photoshop a better face onto hers. :lmao:

Do I have to say just kidding? I hope not.:meh:

I'd definitely charge again, but let her offer to pay full, [ha, probably won't happen...] all that time consumption and courtesy of doing it over for her.

I'd suggest what others have mentioned: re-DO just some of them for a lower price but let her know that it's not gonna be all day and be as nice as possible. Why? Because unless you're already at Weston status, you'll want your name to be spread with good reputation and word of mouth travels faaassst.

But if you're just doing photo as a side job...go ahead and tell her offff ;P

Last edited:
I guess I'd suggest that if you make a decent amount of money from the gig, its worth the time to do a "quick" reshoot. . .but it would annoy the hell out of me. .

I'm not a professional photographer but I know about business. A happy customer might win you referrals, an unhappy one will go out of their way to cost you business. If it was me, I'd reshoot with a big ol' smile on my face and hand her a brochure or two and make it clear that you would appreciate it if she would send some more clients your way. Turn it into an opportunity instead of a chore.

I'm not a professional photographer but I know about business. A happy customer might win you referrals, an unhappy one will go out of their way to cost you business. Turn it into an opportunity instead of a chore.

I agree here. What is the old saying if you do a great job no one hears about it but if you pissed someone off 5 to ten people are told. You never know when someone will mention your name and then have this story to go with it. Let us know how it turns out.

I'm not a professional photographer but I know about business. A happy customer might win you referrals, an unhappy one will go out of their way to cost you business. Turn it into an opportunity instead of a chore.

I agree here. What is the old saying if you do a great job no one hears about it but if you pissed someone off 5 to ten people are told. You never know when someone will mention your name and then have this story to go with it. Let us know how it turns out.

Its true that its possible that no one may hear about it if you do a good job..the trick is that you have to ASK the client and get an agreement that they will tell their friends, business associates, pastors, bartender, massage therapists, whatever..that you did a fantastic job and that they highly recommend you. Remember, you did that customer a favor and they'll want to return it.

I'm not a professional photographer, but I can relate. We do work that our customers drool all over when we are done. We make sure they are 100% happy before they leave.

However, it never fails, there is always one in the bunch, that after a week or two, finds out that there is something they don't quite like, and after acknowledging that "we did it exactly as they asked", want us to redo this or that. At upwards to $100 dollars an hour, they want what they think is a "minor" adjustment here or there. What they don't know is it takes maybe 2 hours, just to dissasemble to the point that we can make the said adjustments.

We take it on a case by case basis. We will more often do it than not. A lot depends on the customer's attitude. If they "demand" we do it "right" after they drooled for two weeks on how great it was, we might tell them to pay for the rework, or sorry. A humble customer who admit's that it was done just as they wanted, we will try to do it for free, as long as they understand that they go to the back of the queue, and we'll get to it after other customers.

Bottom line, most of the time when this type of thing happens, most people understand that what they asked for, wasn't really what they wanted, and we'll accomodate them to a point. Or maybe give them a discount on the rework, or if it's a relatively small job, redo it free.

What this get's us is usually a customer for life, and great word of mouth business. In the long run we are a winner, if we take a little loss up front.

I guess you could use the same philosophy, and gauge for yourself, "is an hour of my time worth a long term repeat customer?". People in the service industry with a "F U" attitude probably won't be in business long, if word of mouth is important to their industry/profession. That, or they don't mind losing a customer, have no fear of economy based slowdown, and other long term business considerations. So, if your cost is 50 to a 100 bucks to go back out, what are the long term benifits?

J.:mrgreen:

If you get a lot of business from them, I'd probably do it for free, rather than nickel and dime a repeat customer.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back