Close up photo's of food - advice please

devilchef1981

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi guys, I'm new to this forum so please be gentle!!

I'm by no means a photographer but I enjoy it at an amateur level and now im having to do it for my work.

I'm head of food development for a corporate catering company and I need to take some close ups of the food I've developed. This will include final cooked products and stages leading up to that. All of which will be close ups.

I do have a small "pop up" photo studio which is basically a white material box with different coloured sheets for a background. I have a small tri-pod and an Olympus E-520 camera. I'm pretty new to using these style cameras I must add, but have got some decent shots with its auto focus feature, but my main problem is lighting in test photo's and shadows off my own body.

Basically I wanted some knowledgeable people to hopefully give me some advice, hints, tips whatever it may be. That would be most appreciated!

Thank you in advance

Matt

Apologies, i must also add that ill be using a room with practically 1 wall is completely a window so there is lots of natural light. I presume this might make a difference

...I do have a small "pop up" photo studio which is basically a white material box with different coloured sheets for a background...
For food photography, better use natural light from a window ;)

Here's an idea for lighting food: Strobist: On Assignment: Macaroni and Cheese

For lighting knowledge starting with the very basics, try Strobist: Lighting 101 and work your way through the many pages of info and tutorials.

Google provides lots of sources to help, like this: Food Photography - lessons in food photography technique - How to photograph food and this: Food Photography – An Introduction and this: The Dirty Tricks of Food Photographers | Pixiq and this: 10 Quick Photography Tips to Make Food Look Tasty.

And, of course, there's YouTube: Food Photography - YouTube

Hope it goes well, and that you'll post some photos you've made. Folks around here can help you refine further if they can see what progress you're making with your photos.

Here's an idea for lighting food: Strobist: On Assignment: Macaroni and Cheese

For lighting knowledge starting with the very basics, try Strobist: Lighting 101 and work your way through the many pages of info and tutorials.

Google provides lots of sources to help, like this: Food Photography - lessons in food photography technique - How to photograph food and this: Food Photography – An Introduction and this: The Dirty Tricks of Food Photographers | Pixiq and this: 10 Quick Photography Tips to Make Food Look Tasty.

And, of course, there's YouTube: Food Photography - YouTube

Hope it goes well, and that you'll post some photos you've made. Folks around here can help you refine further if they can see what progress you're making with your photos.

Many thanks for that, a lot to get through there! Keep me busy...

Most reactions

Back