Cloud formations today

NJMAN

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Far beyond the bowels of human existence...Minneso
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
There were some really billowy clouds today, and eventually turned into thunderheads. The sun was really making them bright and fluffy. The last one is not of clouds, but it was shot in the same area on the same day, so I included it. C&C Welcome Please! Thanks.

IMG_6533_2_800_2.jpg

IMG_6568_2_800_2.jpg

IMG_6618_2_800_2.jpg

4. This one doesn't show too many clouds, but it was taken in the same area, so I included it.
IMG_6592_2_800_2.jpg

Thanks for looking! :D

NJ

I LOVE #1. It has the best texture in the clouds out of all of these.

bump.

This one plummeted like a rock when I first posted it, and I was wondering if there was anything that you guys/gals liked or disliked about it. Also, I wonder if posting it at a certain time of day matters, because I posted it around midnight. Anyway, any further comments or critique is appreciated. Thanks! :)

NJ

No, NJMAN, there does not seem to be any pattern to things. I try to "post strategically", no success. I post as I have time (when most of "America sleeps"), no success. I post upon request of one member, little pics only, not even my usual size, BIG SUCCESS all of a sudden, so much so that I no longer understand what is going on. It is really hard to tell what it is that makes people just look OR look and reply. I haven't understood it so far, either.

Of these four, also I like the first best of all, for that cloud really DOES look thick and white and well-textured. Though personally I am not so sure I like the inclusion of the bridge here. I think I would have liked to see just the river, the green river banks, and this marvellous sky!

The effect captured in 2 is a neat one. We had the same sort of clouds only the other day when I was on the road, taking Sabine, my daughter, to the swimming pool for her training, and she kept staring out of the window saying: "Awww, this looks sooooooooooo nice!!!" As it does - only do I miss a bit of "anchor" in your photo here, to my mind there is too thin a line of ground included within your frame, only just a LITTLE too thin, but too thin all the same (is my opinion only, of course!).

Saturation in the third is very strong, I feel, and although it shows that swimming in the river on that day was fun, the photo as such does not speak to me that much. Hard to put into words, why not ...? The scene is too far away, I guess. There is too much to be seen, you capture action (not nearby enough) plus the wideness of the sky and the river and the countryside ... so maybe there are two things competing?

Photographing into the other direction, i.e. against the light, is risky, but you pulled that one off nicely, I think, with the many little highlighted bits on the water plus the intense green of the grass that only shows THIS green when seen against the light, and the outlines of the trees in the background which almost looks "painted". Did you do anything about them in pp work?

Thanks LaFoto for the detailed reply and analysis!! Very nice of you to comment on these.

I agree with you about the thin ground on the horizon in #2. Someone else also mentioned that to me. I cropped out some of the bottom to give more attention to the sky, but apparently, it seemed to give off a somewhat negative effect.

And I see what you mean about #3, too much competition between elements.

In #4, yes, I did some post processing on the trees. I used the dodge tool a bit to brighten up the green, and then sharpened a little for more detail as well.

Again, thanks for your feedback. I appreciate it very much. :D

NJ

Most reactions

New Topics

Back