Cloud Recommendations

JoeW

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Website
500px.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I backup. But my backups have usually been external hard drives. I've dabbled with some online backups (using flickr, dropbox, etc.). My son is pushing me to use iCloud (since I'm on a Mac).

I'm interested in what recommendations and pricing others of you have for cloud storage options. What would you recommend?

I'm a purist. I neither use nor recommend any of them. Some of them have been known to shut down without notice, change without notice, and you have no idea what they are doing with your data. Nobody yet has ever been able to convince me that the so-called "Cloud" is a good idea or has any benefits over a good local backup strategy.

There's nothing wrong with a backup to external drives. I clone my entire system drive from time to time and take the external drive to my office. I have another drive with a backup of all my photographs and some other frequently changed data. If you don't work send your backup drive to the home of a friend or relative so it's offsite.

Flicker is not really a backup as you're only posting the jpeg version and anyway flicker was sold recently to some large conglomerate so by posting now you give permission for your data to be used by all the companies in that umbrella group.

Whats the storage limit on iCloud? you may find that apple or dropbox technically own your data/files when push comes to shove on free accounts.

I love the thought of online backup but backing up everything is just impractical because of how long it takes to back them up online.

I like to save the best of my best images to google drive so that I have those in full quality.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You can also create your own "cloud" resource if your router supports it. I have a 2TB drive that I have networked through my router, and I have space to add another if I'd like to. I can also access it outside the house if I need to.

You can also create your own "cloud" resource if your router supports it. I have a 2TB drive th dat I have networked through my router, and I have space to add another if I'd like to. I can also access it outside the house if I need to.

Done this for many years, only using duplicate drives, that alternate. Not only does it serve as my backup for data, and photos, but stores my movies/videos, that can be accessed by my smart TV's. When we leave it gets duplicated to my passport drive, and the network drive goes in a fireproof safe.

I use Smugmug. Been using them since '06 (IIRC). They've be stable, reliable, family owned, US based, and there is always a human to answer the phone and help resolve any questions or issues.

You can also create your own "cloud" resource if your router supports it. I have a 2TB drive that I have networked through my router, and I have space to add another if I'd like to. I can also access it outside the house if I need to.

This does not accomplish the purpose of having a cloud backup. The point of a cloud backup is having a backup that is offsite so that you are protected Incase of robbery, fire, flood, etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I use Amazon Photo, that is included in my prime subscription.

Buy yourself a NAS or network attached storage unit. Connect it to your computer by ethernet and use it as your storage. You will have not only backup but a backup of your backup. About $300 should do it.

1) Synс. With 5GB free storage space and zero-knowledge encryption, Sync.com is not just the best cloud photo storage, it’s also the most secure. Sharing is just as secure as storing pictures with zero-knowledge share links that can be password protected. Setting an expiry date on file links is also possible, but only for Pro users.
2) OneDrive is definitely a surprise entry on this list, but we certainly think it deserves to be in the top five of cloud photo storage providers. For starters, it provides all users with 15GB of free storage space.
3) IDrive provides file syncing and storage as an extra feature. However, thanks to private encryption and free 5GB of syncing space, it is a useful and affordable online storage provider for photos.
4) With Google Photos, users get unlimited photo storage, free of charge. But, there are a few catches: Photos can only be up to 16 megapixel in resolution. If you want to save higher quality photos with RAW data, then it will count towards your total Google Drive storage. There is a limit of 2000 photos per folder. So, if you want to store more than 2000 pictures, then you will have to break them up into multiple folders

but now it's more and more dangerous to leave your personal information and photos on the Internet. Be aware of that!

In years past when I was gainfully employed we used a technique where we copied everything on Sunday and took it offsite. Then every evening we did "since saves". Anything done since the day before was copied to the disk and then that days "since saves" went off site. You could do the weekend saves with a couple of 3tb drives.
My stuff is so unimportant that I just copy the new stuff to a 2tb drive every so often...............

Most reactions

New Topics

Back