Cloud Timelapse

JohnnyBlack

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Just finished my first attempt at timelapse, it's shots of the cloud formations over my hometown of Port Elizabeth. All in all in took about 3 months to get enough footage to fill the instrumental track I wrote and used. Check the Youtube description for more info.

Last edited by a moderator:
I liked the clips at 1:02, 1:26, & 2:42 best. The one at 1:41 would have been great if the wire wasn't in view. Instrumental track was very good, nice composing!

Thanks Cheryl, been composing songs for many years so thought it was a perfect marriage for a timelapse.

For anyone wondering, these are still shots combined together, not a video clip sped up. Used a mixture of Lightroom 4, LRTimelapse and Adobe Premiere to create this.

I think that cloud timelapses are generally most successful when the clouds are noticeably forming and dissipating in the frame, not just panning past you in a static shape, as they are in most of these scenes.

At 2:20ish you have a bit of the clouds changing shape in frame, but mostly, they look almost as if you could have just shot a foreground with a greenscreen and then Ken Burns-style edited in a panning static image in the back, you know?

Here is a clearer example of what I'm talking about:

To get the most dramatic cloudlapses, you would want to go somewhere where the forecast predicts two different fronts are going to clash for the first time, AND/OR somewhere where clouds rise or fall in elevation significantly (slopes of large hills or mountains).

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the comments Gavjenks. These were the best shots I could get from my backyard, next one I will definately take your comments into consideration. Great timelapse by the way

Most reactions

New Topics

Back