Clouds & Sunsets (C&C)

Skedaddle

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I took these a few days ago and am just now getting around to putting them up for some C&C. Are the colors ok? Does the composition look good? If there is anything else you would change please post it.

(1)
EXIF
Exposure Time - 1/1600 sec
Shutter Speed - 1/1614 sec
F-Stop - f/7.10
Focal Length - 6.00 mm

3530720899_a4706474c7.jpg

(2)
EXIF
Shutter Speed - 1/1000 sec
F-Stop - f/3.5
Focal Length - 17.3 mm

3531534968_00cb5471ef.jpg

(3)
EXIF
Shutter Speed - 1/640 sec
F-Stop - f/3.2
Focal Length - 12.6 mm

3530720623_318d217994.jpg

(4)
EXIF
F-Stop - f/3.2
Focal Length - 12.6 mm

3531538612_0c375e7b1f.jpg

to me the last one is the best. i like that is more than just some clouds in the picture and the color combination is nice.
most people would say that this is a cliche but its fine with me.

i have tons of photos like this but i use them to cheat :)) when i have a nice picture with a blown out sky i just replace it.

Thank you for the comments. :) I'll have to try the technique of changing the background on a photo whith a blown out sky. I have a book that shows me how, I just haven't done it yet.

Anyone else?

The biggest problem with sunset/cloud shots is that there is not a lot to hold the eye. The patterns in the clouds are neat, but they are all over the frame, so my eye darts from place to place. You really need to find a subject to add in to these -- a tree on the horizon, someone watching the clouds, etc. Then the clouds can be in the photo -- and look awesome -- but there's something to keep your interest as well.

I would have put a tree in the last photo but I felt I couldn't because there would also be houses and a lamp post in the photo. I get what you are saying though. Thanks for the comments.

Anyone else?

#1 Doesn't hold me. It's clouds.

#2 I like this one better. I like the diagonal, changing density, and changing color. The dark clouds bother me. Go away dark clouds, you're in the way! ;)

#3 Ooooh, better still! But as said before, nothing really holds myinterest for long.

#4 Now we're talkin'! I'd like to see a wider band of the yellow on the bottom, but you were probably pushing onto the horizon, would be my guess. Very cool. Best of the four. :thumbup:

You must have some nice weather where you live. The skies look lovely! I agree with the people above, the first couple are nice, but there isn't much of a subject. I like them more and more as they progress into a sunset. The last one has beautiful colors and I think it uses the rule of thirds nicely. Did you try to shoot any of these horizontally? It might look nice that way too. Good work.

Thank you for the comments. :) I would have tried a horizontal but was unable as to the left of me was a truck and house, in front of me was a street light and to the right was a tree. So, I had to take the shot vertically.

Anyone else?

Indeed, the best was saved for last. I liked the colors of photo #4 and its transition from one color to another. I think that photo, if done in HDR, would be amazing.

Cheers!

Captain Kimo

I do like them, they're really nice formations, but there isn't much to lead the eye into the photo, or there isn't really a main subject. Nevertheless, I do like that last one, but a tree, or even a person in silhouette would make for a really nice bit of foreground interest.

Thank you for the comments. Is there a way for me to take the last photo and put a person or a tree at the bottom of it?

Your first 2 don't hold much visual interest, but last two do because of the variation in color and texture. Plus on #3, you've used allowed for some of the open sky to take the frame which is nice so it's a contrast in pattern vs. no pattern. I especially like the bottom of the frame on #4, but the transitional area just above your brilliant sunset is very flat in texture and tone. If #3 had the sunset you got in #4, it would be a very nice shot. Overall, they are cloud shots and sometimes especially hard to draw peoples' interest, but there have been photographers who have published books on just clouds on subjects so it can be done. It just relies heavily on making your composition strong, and using a unique perspective in approaching something we see so often. Nice work though, and for our group critique, try to limit it to 2 please!

I agree that the last is the best. I once read somewhere that your photos should tell a story, as in have a beginning, middle, and end. It may be the foreground, middle ground, and background, or arranged in some other way. When I look at these pictures I think, "oh, nice clouds, but is there something else to the photo?" I feel like the last is much more interesting to look at. Definitely pretty though!

I took these a few days ago and am just now getting around to putting them up for some C&C. Are the colors ok? Does the composition look good? If there is anything else you would change please post it.

(1)
EXIF
Exposure Time - 1/1600 sec
Shutter Speed - 1/1614 sec
F-Stop - f/7.10
Focal Length - 6.00 mm

3530720899_a4706474c7.jpg

(2)
EXIF
Shutter Speed - 1/1000 sec
F-Stop - f/3.5
Focal Length - 17.3 mm

3531534968_00cb5471ef.jpg

(3)
EXIF
F-Stop - f/3.2
Focal Length - 12.6 mm

3530720623_318d217994.jpg

(4)
EXIF
F-Stop - f/3.2
Focal Length - 12.6 mm

3531538612_0c375e7b1f.jpg
they are fantatic i have a few like that as well :)

Most reactions

Back