Clunky AF on used Nikon 105mm VR?

SquarePeg

hear me roar
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I've been coveting this lens for a while and had a small windfall the other day so when I saw a used one in E+ condition at Adorama, I ordered it. Most of my equip was purchased used and I've had excellent luck with the quality of what I've bought so far. The savings vs. new was a little over $200 (about 25% off so a great buy IMO). Nikon refurb store also had it for a few dollars more but their return policy is not as flexible as Adorama so I went with the E+ from A...

The lens arrived yesterday and it looks like new but I noticed a squeek when I turn the manual focus ring past a certain point (past the point you would normally need to turn it to focus). Also the VR and AF seem to be noisy and a bit clunky although functioning just fine as far as I can tell. I have not run into either of those issues on any of my other lenses even the very well used 18-105 that I bought that had an E- rating.

Is the noisy VR and AF typical for this lens? What about the squeek? Is this something that happens with regular use or has it been damaged/dropped?

What do you think? Return it? Do more testing? If it functions fine ignore the noise?

I would send it back. That's not how it is supposed to work.

When I was younger my knees didn't creak either. Now when I hear snap, crackle & pop that's not my cereal, it's my body.

I opt for send it back as well. "There must be some issues with this lens" will forever pop up in your head if not otherwise.

So... I realized I still had the tracking focus on from some action shots I was taking the other d with a different lens - the Tamron with VC which works so differently from VR. That explains I think why the AF/VR felt clunky but still there's the squeak so I'll likely return it.

@Dao is right, I will never be 100% confident in the lens

Thanks all for telling me what I knew but didn't want to know. I was really looking forward to this lens and now will have to wait for the return to be accepted before I buy another one. Tempted to use it this weekend.

So... I realized I still had the tracking focus on from some action shots I was taking the other d with a different lens - the Tamron with VC which works so differently from VR. That explains I think why the AF/VR felt clunky but still there's the squeak so I'll likely return it.

Thanks all for telling me what I knew but didn't want to know. I was really looking forward to this lens and now will have to wait for the return to be accepted before I buy another one. Tempted to use it this weekend.
How many time do we have to ask the newbies around here, have you R.T.F.M.??????? Nikon | Download center | AF-S VR Micro-Nikkor 105mm f/2.8G IF-ED
:lol::lol::lol: :laughing::laughing::laughing: :biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh:

Sorry Peg, just kidding, I couldn't resist. :biggrin-new:

Yup.. no matter what options are set or not set, if it's making noises like a little mouse, bad sign.. send it back.

What you encountered is fairly unusual for a big outfit like Adorama. The squeaking is certainly not normal and should have been included in the description. So return it. I've done very well buying things from individuals on Amazon and eBay. Most of what comes in is in pristine condition. Not long ago I bought an old D100 for $60 to use for my small product light tent table. Works perfectly and looks pretty close to new. It was a $2000 camera when new but now is considered completely obsolete. Amazing what you can do with 6 megapixels. I have to compress the raw files a lot to get them down to internet size and resolution. Any more initial resolution would just be wasted.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back