Coed Soccer/Football Shots

cbarnard7

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
This weekend my wife had a coed soccer match (she's the small girl in highlighter yellow cleats and white shirt in the first pic). This was my first time trying to snap sports photography in low light (dusk, around 8pm) and at a higher ISO (~2000). C&C welcome! Thanks!
$tanz2.jpg$DSC_0027.jpg$goalie.jpg$Turnandshoot.jpg

(They're all JPG so that the post isn't as heavy)

They're not terrible, but a few things to watch for in the future, watch the background and see if you can work around to a cleaner one, the gym bags, lamp posts etc are always a distraction, keep the horizon line straight. I'm guessing that you're working with a fairly short lens, but if you can shoot up the field you will end up with the better backgrounds. Shooting around dusk on most fields without good lights is always a challenge. Keep at it.

They're not terrible, but a few things to watch for in the future, watch the background and see if you can work around to a cleaner one, the gym bags, lamp posts etc are always a distraction, keep the horizon line straight. I'm guessing that you're working with a fairly short lens, but if you can shoot up the field you will end up with the better backgrounds. Shooting around dusk on most fields without good lights is always a challenge. Keep at it.

Awesome advice...I completely understand what you're talking about with the distracting background. Unfortunately, there are like three fields side-by-side so there's always some background noise. But, I agree and with take all those things into consideration and try better angles! Thanks!

I know what it's like shooting on a multi-field complex, it is tough to find those clean backgrounds, but my experience says that if you look enough, walk around and look past the game, you can find them, then all you have to worry about is hoping that the players end up in front of the clean spots, that's the tough part.

I know what it's like shooting on a multi-field complex, it is tough to find those clean backgrounds, but my experience says that if you look enough, walk around and look past the game, you can find them, then all you have to worry about is hoping that the players end up in front of the clean spots, that's the tough part.

So, you're saying that it's better to find a "clean spot" first, and then wait for the players to come through? I definitely find the players/action first and then hope there's a sweet spot with no distraction! That's what I will try to change my focus to then. I'm working only with a 55-200mm VR lens now, so I will try and get myself in an area where I can shoot across field and not have unsightly background distraction. Thanks again!

When I used to shoot my son's games, I would try to find a clean line of sight on each end of the field and wait for the action. I found I got as many good looks as when I chased the action, and less tiring. Another thing I would do, if they allowed it, would be to shoot from the end line instead of the sideline. The action comes towards you, and I found there usually was less background clutter length wise. Also, shooting wide open throws the backgound out of focus better lengthwise as oppose to cross field. Just make sure if you walk behind the goal, you give it a wide berth. Walk too close and they could say you're distracting the goalie and force you to the sideline. I would shoot with a 70 -300 which helped on the longer shots. For the games that went to dusk, I would shift to a 70-200 2.8, sacrificing some reach for more light.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back