Colchester Zoo with a telephoto lens (56k users warning)

Very Nice collection! i especially like the one with the monkey holding the orange slice

Colchester Zoo is my local zoo. I tend to forget all about taking photo's while I'm there, since I usually go to see my favourite Orangutan (although the old one died not so long ago). You've inspired me to get some shots there this summer. Although I still avoid the cheetah enclosure, he always looks so unhappy.

Poor lil lizard. There he is minding his own business...

Im gonna have to head to the local zoo this summer.

The only thing I dont like is how fake the habitats look at zoos :(

When I go shooting, I need to find a zoo with a natural looking habitat.

I am all fascinated by the background colour of the mother-and-baby-photo because those reds add a feeling of warmth to an otherwise also very tender, loving, affectionate scene. I love that one.

Mind you: the other ones are all good, too. Very sharp, very crisp. Not a sign of the glass to be seen. Great work.

BadRotation said:
Im gonna have to head to the local zoo this summer.

The only thing I dont like is how fake the habitats look at zoos :(

When I go shooting, I need to find a zoo with a natural looking habitat.

It is annoying seeing man-made backgrounds... like the background in my Jaguar photos.

All you can really do is open up the apature as wide as it will go to take them out of focus.

WOW! Those are really really amazing shots!! I ADORE animal shots. I really thank you for posting these b/c this is the lens I am hoping to buy in the next couple of weeks and then get out to the zoo. I have read so many reveiws on the lens, some good and some really bad so I have wondered just how good it really works. It is going to be the best I can afford without jumping WAY up..lol Hopefully my shots will come out well with it. I really really love the tiger and the monkey eating the orange!

Spring Chicken said:
WOW! Those are really really amazing shots!! I ADORE animal shots. I really thank you for posting these b/c this is the lens I am hoping to buy in the next couple of weeks and then get out to the zoo. I have read so many reveiws on the lens, some good and some really bad so I have wondered just how good it really works. It is going to be the best I can afford without jumping WAY up..lol Hopefully my shots will come out well with it. I really really love the tiger and the monkey eating the orange!

Thanks. :)

I think the lens is good for the money. Having never used any other 300mm lens before though, I have nothing to compare it to. I find that it can be very sharp, but sometimes the AF isn't quite as accurate as it could be. It could be worth also looking at equivilent Sigma lenses.

Most reactions

Back