Cold weather effects on DSLR

photo12345

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi all, I work in northern Alberta canada and was wonder what kind of effects does cold weather have on dslrs(if any). Lately the temperature has been around -15C. But it can get as cold as -40C later in the year. Also if anyone has any tips for shooting in cold weather it would be much appreciated. Thanks.

reduced battery life because of the cold is one, moisture inside the camera fogging the lens viewfinder mirrow when you bring the camera back into a warm environment, but the camera`s are not rated to that temperature most likely.

A daft idea, I wonder if a waterproof case they use for shooting underwater would help, you could fasten a pack of silica gel inside if there is any space.

John

Lubricants used in the camera will thicken at those kinds of temperatures, so some mechanical functions may be a bit slow.

Batteries are effected by the cold. When not in the camera keep batteries inside your outer garments and close to your body to keep them warmed up.

Condensation will form when going back inside to a warm and humid climate.

If there is any moisture at all anywhere in the camera or the lens it would freeze and expand when it does. That could cause damage I would guess.
If someone could contact some of the British Photo teams that do the many reality shows in Alaska they could find out what those guys and gals do to keep their gear running.

C'mon guys this isn't that cold. Just put your camera in a camera bag before you come inside to protect against condensation.

I had my Hypersonic AF motor stop working because of the cold in -26 C weather (also gusty 30-50mph winds).

I told this to a Canadian colleague of mine who is a photographer, she told me "C'mon don't you know to keep your camera inside your coat?!?"

Thank you all for your advice. Iv noticed many camera manuals say not to use below zero. But I suppose short periods of time won't hurt.

I've gone out timelapsing at night in the winter, leaving my camera out for a few hours at around -15f. There was a pretty thick layer of frost around my camera, but I made sure to not bring it immediately into warmer temps and it was fine

Most reactions

Back