Cold-weather head?

lambertpix

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I've got a Giottos ballhead that I'm generally pretty happy with, but when I was shooting yesterday in cold-ish (teens F) weather, and the head seemed really viscous -- both the ball itself and the horizontal panning motion. I tried loosening the tension knob to no avail -- I assume this was probably a function of the housing contracting more than the ball, but regardless, it was unwelcome.

Does anyone have a favorite ballhead (with panning) that they've used successfully in below-freezing weather?

[h=2]Cold-weather head?[/h]

I'm all for it!!!

Don't get too quick to like the head I posted a link to, not until you see the price. :)

Don't get too quick to like the head I posted a link to, not until you see the price. :)

Yeah, the price is steep. Is there something about the construction of that head that helps specifically with cold weather (materials, etc.)?

I'd love to find something a little less stratospheric, but if that's the only way to solve this particular problem, I'll put it on my wish list and get to it sometime in the next eleventy-seven years or so.

Not that I am aware of. It just works.

Acratech is my favorite maker of general purpose ballheads. Open design doesn't collect junk and it's a dry design so no grease to gum up. I haven't had a single issue with one and I'm not very nice to my gear.

Acratech is my favorite maker of general purpose ballheads. Open design doesn't collect junk and it's a dry design so no grease to gum up. I haven't had a single issue with one and I'm not very nice to my gear.

That's a *little* better. ;-) Time to save my pennies!

You could contact them and see if they have any "cosmetic seconds." They used to sell them at a discount.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back