Collectables... To fix or not fix yourself

Kschmid

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So I recently stumbled across a vintage camera collection at an antique store and bought a few. One was a Kodak Reflex II and the shutter blades were stuck together. I've taken it in to a repair shop because I really want this one to work. I'm somewhat handy but I was curious, do you guys like to repair these cameras yourself or take it to a repair shop? The second part of this question is, if you do repair yourself what do you do for parts or references? Lastly if you have someone else repair it, do you have a specific shop you like?

I've cleaned a few lenses, fixed a couple of apertures, ruined a few as well beyond my abilitiea to reassemble. I'm not particularly good with 'micro' mechanics, i prefer car auto repairs. When i watch YT camera disassembly vids my eyes glaze over zzzz

A reflex ii, is that a leaf shutter slr? That can get complicated, expensive.

I have four "collectibles" (for me, at least): three have operational issues. None of the three cost me more than $5, so I might try to tinker with them. If I spent real money on one, I'd either seek pro help or just delegate it to "the museum."

The fourth is an old Polaroid without only one pack of film, and known supply. Once i shoot that pack, it will be a museum piece.

A reflex ii, is that a leaf shutter slr? That can get complicated, expensive.

I believe so. I sent it in to be cleaned and oiled. They'll call with an estimate once they take a look if they can see anything else is wrong. By that I mean, the things I pointed out...

I have four "collectibles" (for me, at least): three have operational issues. None of the three cost me more than $5, so I might try to tinker with them. If I spent real money on one, I'd either seek pro help or just delegate it to "the museum."

The fourth is an old Polaroid without only one pack of film, and known supply. Once i shoot that pack, it will be a museum piece.

Those old Polaroid's are worth some money... just saying

Hmm, that Kodak of yours does not look like its difficult to service: Camera Repair
I'd take that apart !!!
I think the only camera I would pay someone to service is any Leica M ... or a Minolta CLE ... but then again, I am too cheap to pay that much to get those cameras to begin with.

Those old Polaroid's are worth some money... just saying
Without film it's a shelf ornament.

It can be a costly proposition either way. Camera repair shops can charge a pretty penny for fixing your Kodak and on the other hand the tools, lotions and potions needed to fix it yourself can cost too. However, if you try and succeed in fixing it by yourself then that working Kodak will be a pride point. Let me know if you need some ideas about what tools and solutions you might need. Good luck .

I have wrecked too many cameras to make that mistake again. Professionals are cheaper.

I had to look up that Kodak but yeah, a camera like that might be worth paying to have it repaired and get it working so you can use it. I have midcentury Kodaks and whatnots that are cheap, plastic/bakelite and not necessarily working but they look cool so I display them. And maybe play with them, and if they do work, go use them once in awhile.

But other than a bit of tinkering (especially if a camera's cheap and it's already not working so you can't make things much worse) I don't mess with them. I do have a couple of out of print repair books by Tomosy so if you find resources on camera repair and have a hunk o' junk to practice on, it could be worth learning to do repair if you plan to keep getting old cameras.

As far as Polaroids, I don't think most are worth much, the SX-70 being one that does have some value (which I have and it's a joy to use). I have another vintage one that used roll film but I got it because it's cool looking. And supposedly it could be used as a pinhole sort of thing but haven't tried it.

What do you have Charlie? I find that the pack film lasts and is usable but The Impossible Project film has/had emulsion that tends to dry up. I may have a pack of something in my fridge I could let you have.

Isn't that Kodak a 620 film size? If so you will have to re-load 120 film onto the 620 spool and have another 620 spool for pick up.

The biggest thing with camera repair is having the proper tools. A good variety of spanners, pick tools are essential. Having good magnification and light helps.

Finding service documents can be tricky as are camera specific video. If none are available, you have to think everything through, understand how it works. If you can't see and get how it works, chances are you will fail in the repair. "Fix old cameras" on YouTube, has a lot of useful videos that make things easier.

I have found the better built, mechanical cameras are the easiest to repair. I would work on a Leica but you better have a set of their spanners or you will destroy the body. I don't own a Leica yet, even the broken ones are expensive. Documents are good as are videos for the common models.

Electronic cameras are tricky and usually require spare components to swap out so that pretty much eliminates the do it yourself guy.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back