Collectible camera question of the week.

Mitica100

Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
How about starting some sort of contest to test your knowledge of the collectible camera? :D

No real prize, no, I don't have any Leicas to give away, just the pride of answering correctly. ;)

And now the question(s):

The Leica M3 series come in two versions, Double Stroke and Single Stroke (winding levers). The Double Stroke was manufactured first with the Single Stroke taking its place later.

What was the reason behind Leica creating a Double Stroke winding camera and why was it replaced later with a Single Stroke?

dunno?, one wounds the shutter and the second transports the film? maybe a weird possibility to take double exposures? one wound for slow- and the second for fast shutter speeds? dunno, that is really a hard one :confused:
was it for technical reason?

santino said:
dunno?, one wounds the shutter and the second transports the film? maybe a weird possibility to take double exposures? one wound for slow- and the second for fast shutter speeds? dunno, that is really a hard one :confused:
was it for technical reason?

No, although that's a good guess... :mrgreen:

Hint: Has to do with something else non-mechanical. ;)

No. :D

It has to do with the film.

It was a very smart idea at that time. Guess again?

Fear that the tension of a single stroke advance might tear the sprockets of the film and that a double stroke would be gentler on the film. Since film was strong enough, the double stroke advance was more prone to problems (more monkey motion?) so they replaced it with a single stroke version. Am I right?

PG you are correct! :hail: They went to Single Stroke after the films got more tear resistant.

:band: :wav: :band:

Be it known that Photogoddess is the first winner of this contest! Congratulations!

This week's question deals with the Exakta cameras.

There are variations in the Exakta camera names, as in Varex or VX. Both are the same but called differently in the US (VX) because of which company that threatened to sue them for using the Varex name?

Mitica100 said:
There are variations in the Exakta camera names, as in Varex or VX. Both are the same but called differently in the US (VX) because of which company that threatened to sue them for using the Varex name?

Argus Camera Company

Kent Frost said:
Argus Camera Company

Yessss! Very good!! Argus had developed a camera shutter with the name Varex before the Exakta being named Varex, hence the legal trouble.

Kent gets kudos for a very quick answer. Congrats!

As it turns out, this thread's title Collectible Camera Question Of The Week needs amending, should be called now just Collectible Camera Trivia, because I'm not going to wait another week to post a trivia question... ;)

Look out for the next question...

And here goes another one:

Name the one camera that had seven functions and was produced first in 1923. Some of these functions are: half frame still camera on 35mm, movie camera, contact printer and movie projector.

Hmm... No takers?

It was the Sept Debrie camera, produced in France. Sept in French is Seven in English, hence its name.

Name one camera which was manufactured during the WWII and having one of the markings: Made in the USSR or a German Swastika.

Hint: It was conceived and put in production in a different country than USSR or Germany.

celery said:
Kriegsmarine leica II was a military camera that had a swastika on it. Other than that, I dunno.

As far as I understand, Contax was pretty resistant at applying Swastikas to their cameras. I own a Kriegsmarine Contax set (with its lens) and has no Swastika on it. There were very few occasions though when they did let that happen. About the Leicas... I have to research more regarding this subject.

But... the camera in question was neither German nor Russian. ;) Guess again?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back