Collecting 35mm film slides.

Kodachromes are about the only ones worth rooting around for. Early Ektachromes got ugly fast.

Prefer '30s, '40s, and '50s mug shots when they surface.

Kodachromes are about the only ones worth rooting around for. Early Ektachromes got ugly fast.

Prefer '30s, '40s, and '50s mug shots when they surface.

All slides are good slides here! Although chromes are pretty nice!

heres another sweet slide i found

Attachments

• $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    467.1 KB · Views: 324
webetang64, Would you be interested in 15,000 35 mm slides of travels to Europe, South America, Asia, Russia and Africa? These slides were taken between 1950 through the early 80's. They are in carousels and each are labeled by number.

Working in photo labs all my career I have obtained well over 1 million 35 mm slides in my collection from customers that throw them away. All from the 1940's to the 1980's. 90% are travel slides. I just got a big batch from a church that closed down. When the owners died the kids throw everything away. I found them beside a dumpster. A lot is of St. Louis in the 60's and 70's.
By far the best was a little old lady came into the shop and got a few slides made into prints. She then asked me if I would dispose of the rest of her slides. I said sure (they went straight to my car). There were over 3000 slides, all Kodachrome, photos of her and her husband's travels in Europe during the 1950's.
I also have glass plates and cabinet cards. I collect cabinet cards for the photographer's studio name on the back.

As a St. Louis resident I'd love the chance to see some of these, I know a lot of other amateur and professional historians who would love to be able to see them!

Working in photo labs all my career I have obtained well over 1 million 35 mm slides in my collection from customers that throw them away. All from the 1940's to the 1980's. 90% are travel slides. I just got a big batch from a church that closed down. When the owners died the kids throw everything away. I found them beside a dumpster. A lot is of St. Louis in the 60's and 70's.
By far the best was a little old lady came into the shop and got a few slides made into prints. She then asked me if I would dispose of the rest of her slides. I said sure (they went straight to my car). There were over 3000 slides, all Kodachrome, photos of her and her husband's travels in Europe during the 1950's.
I also have glass plates and cabinet cards. I collect cabinet cards for the photographer's studio name on the back.

As a St. Louis resident I'd love the chance to see some of these, I know a lot of other amateur and professional historians who would love to be able to see them!
How many do you wish to look at?

Strictly out of curiosity I wonder if there is any legal issue with keeping the negatives. Obviously if she asked you to trash them they can be considered trash once you have printed them and I guess trash is fair game, unless there is some kind of implication that the negatives are to be strictly disposed of hmmmm... The whole Vivian Maier situation is really going to set some interesting legal precedent for these cases (of which Im sure hers will not be the last).

Regards
Dave

As of right now my collection is in storage till I get to my permeant residence.

Strictly out of curiosity I wonder if there is any legal issue with keeping the negatives. Obviously if she asked you to trash them they can be considered trash once you have printed them and I guess trash is fair game, unless there is some kind of implication that the negatives are to be strictly disposed of hmmmm... The whole Vivian Maier situation is really going to set some interesting legal precedent for these cases (of which Im sure hers will not be the last).

Regards
Dave

Possession is nine-tenths of the law......LOL

Some of my collections I have obtained came with a signed release so I guess those are covered for sure.

Remember you can also scan negatives and convert them quickly to images. I scanned all of my wedding negatives as we only had a few of the best images from contact sheets printed out back in the day. They were interesting after 30 years. Guests, less than perfect shots, etc.

Hi, everyone! I'm looking to sell my collection of 30,000+ slides as a means of helping to fund my efforts to get into graduate school to study physics and mathematics. They are all old art history slides from every time period and region in history. In a past life they were used to teach university courses but were retired when the department they came from decided to modernize. I salvaged them to prevent them from going to the landfill and have been enjoying them ever since. I've been trying to find a community of people that will appreciate and help to preserve them. Would anybody here be interested in purchasing part or all of my collection? I'll add some photos of them so you can get a better idea of what they look like.
IMG_20170108_173252676_HDR.jpg
IMG_20170108_173011639_HDR.jpg
IMG_20170108_172943839_HDR.jpg
IMG_20170108_172207905_HDR.jpg
IMG_20170108_173353044_HDR.jpg
IMG_20170108_174250363_HDR.jpg
IMG_20170108_172835170_HDR.jpg

Hi, everyone! I'm looking to sell my collection of 30,000+ slides as a means of helping to fund my efforts to get into graduate school to study physics and mathematics. They are all old art history slides from every time period and region in history. In a past life they were used to teach university courses but were retired when the department they came from decided to modernize. I salvaged them to prevent them from going to the landfill and have been enjoying them ever since. I've been trying to find a community of people that will appreciate and help to preserve them. Would anybody here be interested in purchasing part or all of my collection? I'll add some photos of them so you can get a better idea of what they look like.
View attachment 135111 View attachment 135112 View attachment 135113 View attachment 135114 View attachment 135115 View attachment 135116 View attachment 135117

These are lovely slides and there might be some interest, but the way to sell them is not by reviving a zombie thread. Please post a new thread in the Buy and Sell Forum: Buy and Sell

Also be sure to read the rules of that forum: Buy and Sell section rules

You have pictures of the items, but you also need to give a price or price range.

View attachment 135111 View attachment 135112 View attachment 135113 View attachment 135114 View attachment 135115 View attachment 135116 View attachment 135117

These are lovely slides and there might be some interest, but the way to sell them is not by reviving a zombie thread. Please post a new thread in the Buy and Sell Forum: Buy and Sell

You have pictures of the items, but you also need to give a price or price range.
Oh, okay. I've never posted in forums before so I figured this would be as good a place to start as any. Thanks for the advice and guidance!

Oh, okay. I've never posted in forums before so I figured this would be as good a place to start as any. Thanks for the advice and guidance!

Not a problem. And welcome! :)

Very interesting. I have thousands maybe hundreds of thousands of slides in a storage area. They are slides from before I was born all the way up till maybe 25. My mom and dad shot a lot of 35mm slides. This thread has inspired me to get some out and take a look.

Very interesting. I have thousands maybe hundreds of thousands of slides in a storage area. They are slides from before I was born all the way up till maybe 25. My mom and dad shot a lot of 35mm slides. This thread has inspired me to get some out and take a look.

Definitely! Old slides are really quite fascinating.

Most reactions

Back