College Freelance Photograher Rates?

A4Effort

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I recently got in touch with the Student Life organization at my university. They were looking to hire someone to take pictures of student events. I have a meeting this upcoming week and the person would like to discuss my rates.

Now I never sold any of my pictures and I do not have a great knowledge on what my rates should be. I am also a beginner so I know not to charge a lot but it is also a University so I know they have money.

What should I charge as a freelance phototgrapher?
What should I charge per print?

Any help would be appreciated greatly.

Last edited:
First, what kind of events and how much time will it take?! I work for a college newspaper where I go to bars and shoot. I only get $10 per bar, but I only have to take 30 pix...which takes 20 min at most. Plus I get in free to the bars and I meet connections for future jobs. Now since this doesn't take much, I don't mind the rate.

However, I'm going to be doing a runway show where I'm charging $200 for 3 hours and I'm going to load the prints online for people to order.

It really depends on what they expect. If you're going to be shooting some of your best work, make sure you're getting paid good amounts. Also, I'm not to saavy on rights to pictures and stuff like that, but I wouldn't give away the prints and promise never to use them again.

Someone else will have to go into detail on that.

I would also charge a per event fee. You don't want to go somewhere and they decide not to use your print after you've spent your time there.

Let me know how it works out! Also, what college is it for?

I will hopefully be doing this for the UNoversity of Vermont. We only talked briefly but the woman said that I would be covering most school events. That would include anything from a hockey game to pictures of exhibits at the museum. I won't have to account for travel since it will be mostly if not all on campus. Is there a ball figure per event or per hour I can charge?

Thanks for your help. Much is appreciated.

Most reactions

Back