College Photography Club - T-shirts concepts!

Howdy,

So last year my friend and I came up with a sweet club idea for our school, a photo club! Sadly it has since passed away from lack of participation but the dream still lives on! I have quickly designed some shirts that have 'photo jokes' on them..

Thus I was coming here for some feedback and to see if you guys like them! The club was called, STOP32 Photo club (borrowed the name of f/64, early group of elite photographers, although we said f/32 also meant a wide depth of field- we were seeking to incorporate a large spectrum of photographers skills levels so everyone could improve and get better)...

That's great, and it sounds like a good idea. It's unfortunate your club didn't work out the first time around. Have you maybe considered some of the reasons as to why it didn't get enough interest? These shirts that your making COULD HAVE a great potential to draw in fellow photographers, or maybe even people who aren't even photographers yet, but have a feigning interest... If only... If only they could read it.

("o hey tyler").. I understand your confusion over my font choice, but I am sticking with it. .Our original theme was 'the revolution is coming' and was styled in a psuedo-soviet style..

Well, isn't it pretty clear that your original theme didn't really stir up enough interest in the first post you made? Not trying to be harsh, just direct. I think your "theme" and font choice have little relevance to photography. It could just be my lack of contextual knowledge about your college. Perhaps you have a strong Red/Russian presence. I don't know that, right? So please, I'm just viewing this as it was being displayed to a normal, relatively diverse college.

Thus the font choice, so thanks for the advice, but I love the font 'kremlin' and I honestly dont care much if others cant read them . these shirts are my for my sake =).

Well, in that case, if you strive for ultimate illegibility... I would suggest that you use Kremlin, print it on a black shirt in white ink at size 6 font. You'll know what it says, and it will be in your favorite font. Best part about it, your photography club will stay constant in membership numbers. Because you "love the font 'kremlin' and I honestly dont care much if others cant read them".

So, what do you love more? The prospect of having a collaborative effort of photographers who are attending your college, or a decorative display font used improperly based on the situation?

Here, bask in the glory of this list of Russian Fonts. If you must go the Soviet path, for whatever reason it compels you. Please, choose a different font. They all scream commie, and 90% of them would be more legible than Kremlin.

Russian Category (76 free fonts) - Abstract Fonts

You're welcome.

I know at this point this is beyond your interest as you seem to have posted the designs for some reason other than contructive feedback, but as a graphic designer, I feel the need to express what I see/why I am suggesting the changes that I do.

I understand you don't want to change the designs and I'm not forcing any changes on you, but rather, I am encouraging an open mind so you can see what I'm talking about.

o hey tyler is correct. The font you chose screams "Russian Constructivism". Though you chose the font simply based on what it looks like, you have to take into account what it means. In the early 1920s, Russian Constructivism was a graphic design movement that actually FAVORED graphic design over the essentials of photography. In fact, many Constructivists were ANTI-photography and believed that should photography be utilized, it was to be incorporated in photomontage form (ex. collages). In short, the Russian font actually opposes the pro-photography claim you are trying to make.

I also believe you are trying to incorporate too many elements into the design. I see the "Aperture" logo being used (a very simple modern symbol). This contrasts with the history you've incorporated with the Constructivist style. (I'd pick one or the other.)

The design also has heirarchy issues. Is the catch phrase "What's your f/stop?" more important or less important than the name of your photography group? Correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems what you're trying to achieve could best be described by the "Got milk?" ads. Take a page from their book - they successfully give proper balance to the ad by picking the slogan as their form of advertising and putting the web site/information almost as fine print. Pick which one is more important - you'll find that your design will look more balanced and less cluttered!

Just some food for thought. I hope this information proves helpful. :)

And I thought Russian Constructivism was red-hot...I thought that ALL the cool kids were into that...

Sorry this got put on the back burner with school and such.. I am just revisiting now and I just wanted to thank you guys for your great feedback. I wish I had more time to devote to this, and it's still on my to-do list. As I work on it, I will definitely take your feedback into consideration, as it is very helpful. Alas I have graduated and am working now on the east coast. But that will not stop me haha, I am determined to make some shirts.

Thanks again I really appreciate it! Hopefully if I do complete this I will post the restults. Unfortunately I have surgery coming up in a week and my computer is dead (at work now).. So it may be delayed further..

On the religion thing, how about?

I'm a Nikonian, Whats YOUR religion? (assuming that isn't trademarked.. probably is!) lol!

or

All hail the great god CANON!

Take heart, you're very good at making excuses - graduated, surgery, east coast, dead computer, not enough time........ :lol:

Most reactions

Back