Colo(u)r Versus B&W

MAMS

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.livistats.co.uk
I'm really not sure on this one - which one is best? and any comments on either re the picture anyway would be much appreciated.

For interest - was taken today at Edinburgh Zoo.

gallery_1_26_61668.jpg

and the B&W One

gallery_1_26_125114.jpg

like the color better. it works very nice the really limited palette of colors -it almost seems B&W! You lose this nice effect in the B&W version

I like the contrast in the b&w version, it makes their skin look much better. However, I find the background is too similar to the subjects and the color version separates the background a little better.

Is it my new monitor?
They look overexposed to me. In both cases...whereas the colour version looks worse (hard word to use, sorry, I am not a good one for 'bad critique', but they're both extremely bright on my monitor).

B&W for me. The colour definitely looks overexposed on my laptop monitor for what that's worth.

The exposure was on the bright side, I seem to be having a lot of problems with it

Not sure if it's over or under exposed but definately too light for my own liking.

MAMS said:
now you've lost me completely, can you expand on that

Oh... sorry. Are you a Photoshop user? I'm sure you can get this done using other programs too.

They way I would do this (I suspect there are faster, better ways) is to make a new layer of the entire image, so that you actually have two identicle photos, one right on top of the other.

Then, open the layers window. Make the top layer invisable by clicking on the eye. Then select the background layer.

Now, choose IMAGE, then ADJUSTMENTS, then CURVES. Now, adjust the image until the background looks good... I'm thinking it should be deeper tones.

Next, go to the layers window and make the top layer visable again, and the background invisable. Select the top layer. Using the eraser tool set in brush mode at 100% opacity, carefully erase the animals portion of the image. Use a brush just large enough to create a soft edge. Check you work from time to time by making all layers visable.

Well... I bet that's likely to be more than you wanted to know.

I hope you find this helpful.

ANYONE ELSE... please let me know the faster, easier way to do this.

Thanks!

ummmm... been replying my instuctions in my mind. Actually, earse the bright background from the top image, allowing the new, deeper background to show through.

Please forgive the confusion.

-Pete

I really like this photo! The rhinos look positively statuesque, and I love the subtle difference between them and the background.

I like the B&W version better. I do usually tend to prefer BW over color, but I think that in this case... there is very little variation in the color version. Removing it entirely places the entire focus on the texture and tone, drawing the eye (my eye, at least) to the similarity between the flesh tones and the background.

One other thing I might do is lower the brigtness a bit (I agree that the photo appears a bit overexposed), and possibly play with the contrast a little (if you're using Gimp or Photoshop).

Most reactions

Back