Color correcting for hand-held devices

JennieCreates

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I've been doing photography for a while, but only casually. Recently I noticed that some of my clients were posted photos on Facebook and they had a noticeable greenish/blue tint to them. I was horrified because they were very different from what I sent them. I realized that they were downloading the images from my Google Drive from their phones and tablets instead of a laptop/desktop computer. (I've attached examples so you can see what I mean. My original photo is on the right, their's is on the left.)

Why is this happening? I notice that even the photos my my blog look different when I look at it on my phone versus the iMac. What can I do to color correct and edit the images so my photos are consistent no matter where they are being viewed?

FYI, I convert my RAW files to JPEGs with the sRGB color profile... I thought that was sufficient, but I guess not?
screen shot.jpg

screenshot.jpg

How do you calibrate the display on your iMac?

Are you seeing the altered photos while viewing them on your iMac (looking at FB) or are you using your phone?

Joe

. What can I do to color correct and edit the images so my photos are consistent no matter where they are being viewed?
Not much, because where your photos are viewed will vary a great deal.
In the examples you posted I'm seeing what looks like a color space issue in that the photos on the left look de-saturated.

The web is essentially sRGB, but most phones and personal computers do not have displays that can display the entire color gamut of sRGB.
Plus, most mobile devices cannot be color calibrated, few PC users calibrate their displays, and many Internet browsers are not color aware.

What can I do to color correct and edit the images so my photos are consistent no matter where they are being viewed?
Other displays and other websites will not display the same colors, so the best you can do is keep the colors consistent within your own workflow. If the folks want accurate colors they can order prints from you.

In fact, showing your clients the color discrepancy is useful as a selling point for selling prints.

In fact, showing your clients the color discrepancy is useful as a selling point for selling prints.

And in todays market also selling "Phone ready" or "Facebook ready" images too. Though considering how much value most people place upon digitial media in any form I'd say that its best to compliment prints rather than outright replace. You can charge £20 for a print - try charging that for a digital image and most won't pay up. Now if you charge £20 for a print with £2 extra for a digital version for facebook then you might be onto a winner (and of course you can use all other kinds of marketing/selling methods as well)

Most reactions

Back