Color enlargements

nealjpage

multi format master in a film geek package
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Well, as my past posts have mentioned, I have a bunch of negatives that I received from my grandparents that family members would like to have enlarged. In this mess is a bunch of color negs from the '50s and '60s. I'd like to enlarge some. Here's the deal: I've only done B&W, but we do have a Bessler 23C with a color head on it. Is it worth trying to do a few? I can't find an operating manual anywhere in the darkroom, but there is a box of color paper that I can steal. There even might be some color chemicals, but I don't know how to identify what to look for. Any ideas?:hail:

Colour printing has a very steep learning curve. You tend to waste a lot of paper and time because every time you change the filter pack to compensate for a colour cast you have to change the exposure.
You'd do better (and it would probably be cheaper) to take them to a lab. You might even consider getting them scanned and put on to a CD.

Have to agree with Hertz.

Unless you really "want" to do some colour printing you're best going to a lab or even investing in a negative scanner. It is good fun and as said has a very steep learning curve with the paper and chemicals being more expensive than B&W and you'll do lots of "bad" prints! :lol:

Also consider that colour printing is done in complete darkness with no safe light so you can either do it in the dark in trays :confused: or use a print processing drum.

It is good fun and quite a challenge though!:D Just not cost effective! :lol:

Do you know what the paper is and how old it is?

If the chemicals are a few years old & especially opened they're probably oxidised by now so you may have to buy some more.

I know very little about this stuff as yet but I used RA-4 process chemicals with compatible paper (I think most popular paper is RA-4 isn't it?)

Most reactions

Back