Color Management and Workspace Questions

took an sRGB JPEG, uploaded it to Flickr and then opened that file in both Paint Shop Pro and Flickr (using FireFox as brower) -- the file displays the same in both

And they look pretty much the same on my monitor. Could the fact that you're uploading to photo sharing site, and then linking have any effect vs uploading directly to a site?

Yes, but it is all site specific. Basically the issue concerns what if anything the site may do to alter the photo.

Also, notice that you're using X7. I went from X6 (not experiencing problems) to X8, about 2 months ago. I also used their calibration wizard for the monitor, which has me wondering now?

Yikes! and Ouch! and yep that was a bad idea. Good idea: Amazon.com : X-Rite ColorMunki Smile (CMUNSML) : Computer Mice : Camera & Photo

Until you purchase and use a hardware display calibrator you are flailing around like a fish out of water.

I need to go back to some jpegs that where saved using Pentax software and try uploading them as well.

You may have a problem with the files you're uploading to social media. Provide a link to one you think is a problem and let's have a look.

Joe

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
For the web, the best and most optimized format is a .PNG (portable network graphic) as it is specifically designed to work in the internet space, unlike a .jpg (Joint Photographic Experts Group) which is a lossy compression algorithm.
.png8 is good for text in images and line art as well as transparency, and .png24 is good for full color photos as it has millions of optimized colors available and is lossless for clarity.
If you are building a site and quality is the main concern, jpgs cause too much detail loss.

Apparently I have a combination of problems. Monitor calibration is one that I will rectify as soon as I can place an order, but it also seems that PSP X8 has a bug in color management which can cause a "yellowish tint" Found quite a bit of information on google while I was waiting at hospital today. I went back in my files and opened an old image in PSP - work space sRGB 16/bit to test (please don't fault me it's not a great image I was in a hurry), and did a few edits in PSP to force an image change (I had previously uploaded this to FB outside PSP with no issues) Then converted it to a sRGB 8/bit and uploaded to FB. The FB image was the same as PSP on my monitor, but the other devices (tablets and phone) all had a definite YELLOW cast. I converted the same image with same edits to an AdobeRGB1998 workspace, and uploaded to FB, it didn't make any change on my monitor, but now all the other devices were showing the same as my monitor with no yellow cast.

I closed out images, went in, turned off color management in PSP , rebooted my computer, then turned color management back on and set the workspace to sRGB. Reopened the original image, as an sRGB/16 made the same edits again, decreased it back to 8 bits, and uploaded to FB. Now all three devices were once again fairly close. I'm not sure how or why this worked, or if it will revert back on it's own, but for now, I think I can move on to monitor calibration without the "yellow glow", that was driving me crazy.
management on sRGB 8 bit.jpg

Do you have an 8 bit or a 10 bit monitor?

I would assume 8 as it is a laptop.

Bit depth is unrelated to color management, PSP works with 8 and 16 bit photos equally well. If you're editing a photo it is hopefully 16 bit and has to that point never been 8 bit. When you're finished editing a photo and want to save it for output as a JPEG you then convert to 8 bit and save

Interesting clip from the documentation that I found as result of all this

page 671.JPG

For the web, the best and most optimized format is a .PNG (portable network graphic) as it is specifically designed to work in the internet space, unlike a .jpg (Joint Photographic Experts Group) which is a lossy compression algorithm.

There is quite a bit in the documentation on PNG and the web. PSP includes a one click PNG optimizer that saves a lot of steps.

Apparently I have a combination of problems. Monitor calibration is one that I will rectify as soon as I can place an order, but it also seems that PSP X8 has a bug in color management which can cause a "yellowish tint" Found quite a bit of information on google while I was waiting at hospital today. I went back in my files and opened an old image in PSP - work space sRGB 16/bit to test (please don't fault me it's not a great image I was in a hurry), and did a few edits in PSP to force an image change (I had previously uploaded this to FB outside PSP with no issues) Then converted it to a sRGB 8/bit and uploaded to FB. The FB image was the same as PSP on my monitor, but the other devices (tablets and phone) all had a definite YELLOW cast. I converted the same image with same edits to an AdobeRGB1998 workspace, and uploaded to FB, it didn't make any change on my monitor, but now all the other devices were showing the same as my monitor with no yellow cast.

I closed out images, went in, turned off color management in PSP , rebooted my computer, then turned color management back on and set the workspace to sRGB. Reopened the original image, as an sRGB/16 made the same edits again, decreased it back to 8 bits, and uploaded to FB. Now all three devices were once again fairly close. I'm not sure how or why this worked, or if it will revert back on it's own, but for now, I think I can move on to monitor calibration without the "yellow glow", that was driving me crazy.
View attachment 120405

I checked this image and it looks good. Most importantly it has it's EXIF data intact and carries an appropriate sRGB ICC profile -- as it should. Skin tones are in normal range.

Phones and tablets are not calibrated devices and should be expected to show color incorrectly. If all three: computer, phone, and tablet were the same I'd be alarmed.

Adobe RGB is inappropriate for your use and should be avoided.

Joe

There is quite a bit in the documentation on PNG and the web. PSP includes a one click PNG optimizer that saves a lot of steps.

You do not want to use the PNG format, especially not the PNG8 format. Use JPEG for web photos and make sure they carry an sRGB color space tag.

Joe

Last edited:
Bit depth is unrelated to color management, PSP works with 8 and 16 bit photos equally well. If you're editing a photo it is hopefully 16 bit and has to that point never been 8 bit. When you're finished editing a photo and want to save it for output as a JPEG you then convert to 8 bit and save

Interesting clip from the documentation that I found as result of all this

View attachment 120412

I suspect that's old. "Most Corel PaintShop Pro effect and correction commands work on 16 million color and greyscale images only."

Certainly that is not the case with my version of PSP which works just fine with 16 bit files.

The paragraph about creating images for the Web comes straight from 1995 and should be ignored today as ridiculous. There is absolutely no reason to create indexed color photos for web display today in 2016. A graphic, sure, but not a photograph.

Joe

Joe there were differences, on the final, but not the glaring YELLOW differences I had been dealing with. After the experiences I've had with X8, I wish I would have stayed with X6, and used the money to buy color munki. Thanks so much for the assistance.

Most reactions

Back