Reaction score
Website
www.lane-images.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Can't decide which I prefer.

RTclass-13-Edit.jpg

RTclass-13.jpg

I'll be the contrarian I guess, and divulge that I prefer the color version of this shot. Nice shootin', Ron.

Mind sharing how you lit this? I'm starting to really dive into off camera flash.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I prefer the B&W but I think it's primarily because I don't like gold.

Thank you.

B&W for sure.

Thank you.

I'll be the contrarian I guess, and divulge that I prefer the color version of this shot. Nice shootin', Ron.

Thanks Derrel. I am starting to see that both have their merits.

Mind sharing how you lit this? I'm starting to really dive into off camera flash.

I don't mind at all. We were at f/13, ISO 100, 24mm, and 8 seconds. About mid-way through the exposure, we fired an Interfit S1. I did not have control of the lights power, as I was just holding the stand so it wouldn't fall in the wind. My camera was below and immediately to the right of the light. Hope that helps.

I prefer the B&W but I think it's primarily because I don't like gold.

Thank you.

B&W for sure.

Thank you.

Thanks Derrel. I am starting to see that both have their merits.

I don't mind at all. We were at f/13, ISO 100, 24mm, and 8 seconds. About mid-way through the exposure, we fired an Interfit S1. I did not have control of the lights power, as I was just holding the stand so it wouldn't fall in the wind. My camera was below and immediately to the right of the light. Hope that helps.

Wait. Forgive the ignorance, but an 8 second exposure? While taking a photo of a person? How?

Wait. Forgive the ignorance, but an 8 second exposure? While taking a photo of a person? How?

Flash. It's not constant light but a burst and the speed of light is very fast so you can expose with that and leave a long shutter as long as you control the ambient light. So aperture contols flash exposure, shutter speed controls the ambient light.

Ron: I'm torn on this one but I yhink i prefer the b&w best.

Colour.
I find that the background and foreground in the B&W is blending too much into the subject, not enough separation as the colour ... so it becomes more distracting.

Flash. It's not constant light but a burst and the speed of light is very fast so you can expose with that and leave a long shutter as long as you control the ambient light. So aperture contols flash exposure, shutter speed controls the ambient light.

@weepete is correct. As I understand it, as long as your ambient exposure is different enough to your flash exposure, you will not get the ghosting that you might expect. I have some images with a little bit of ghosting in the hair. How we stopped that was to increase the power of the flash in small increments until we did not have any ghosting.

You should try this outside at night sometime. It is a cool exercise and is helping me to understand more for making better portraits.

@weepete is correct. As I understand it, as long as your ambient exposure is different enough to your flash exposure, you will not get the ghosting that you might expect. I have some images with a little bit of ghosting in the hair. How we stopped that was to increase the power of the flash in small increments until we did not have any ghosting.

You should try this outside at night sometime. It is a cool exercise and is helping me to understand more for making better portraits.

I am absolutely going to try it out. I don't have any fancy strobes but I'll give it a go with speedlights

I am absolutely going to try it out. I don't have any fancy strobes but I'll give it a go with speedlights

I was assured last night that it will work with speed lights too.

Most reactions

Back