No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Which one?

440-test-dam-mapped.jpg

and the other

440-bw-test-dam-mapped.jpg

Color. I think adding about +25 saturation to it would make it even better.

it does not make that much of a difference sine the coloured version is already rather monochrome ... however, if pushed for a decision I would say B&W here :)

The color draws my eyes to the top to the cluttery details immediately under the bridge (is it a dam?) while the B&W emphasizes the lower part of the structure, especially the arches. My initial vote was for color, but after I stared at it, I think definitely the B&W.

To quote Paul Simon I used to think that everything looked better in Black and White. However, I have now come around and think that there are just some things that are better in color, this being one of them. I think that sometimes the tones of BW take the subject matter out of the picture so to speak, and make the composition linear or maybe textural in nature. (you know i am not sure if textural is a word, maybe i just made that up??) In color the subject is the focus of this shot, and if that was the point of shooting it than you should leave it that way.

The B&W makes me notice the lines.
The colour makes me notice what is creating the lines.

There are more tones in the colour shot than the black and white. You can see this particularly in the rocks. That makes the colour the better choice. The black and white would require more and selective postprocessing work to bring it to the level of the colour one in tones.

skieur

I prefer the b/w one because it causes you to focus on the supporting structures of the bridge as a whole vice the color where you are trying to look at all the tiny details that you can find.

Very good points made for both versions. Thanks for the help everybody, I appreciate it!

I'de say BW but saturated more...so many little other colors that pull you away from the focal architecture

Most reactions

Back