Color Profiles & ViewNX 2 (OS X 10.6.8)

leekeller

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I am having a bit of a hard time clearly explaining my issue but let me try. I using a 24" iMac that uses a custom calibrated color profile done with a calibration tool temporarily borrowed from a friend, that profile is named Spring2012. When I view images in apple preview, quicktime or a web browser the image color stays the same when using different mac system color profiles. For example if I switch the mac system color profile to sRGB IEC61966 2.1 the image gets brighter for about half a second and then it goes back to the way it looked under Spring2012, or better put the way I think it should look. No matter what profile I switch too the image changes temporarily but then goes back to the way it was.

In ViewNX 2 when I change the color profile the image changes. Using the default Spring 2012 profile the image is a bit darker than it appears in the other image viewing programs. When I switch from the default profile of Spring 2012 to sRGB IEC61966 2.1 the image seem to be a bit brighter and the colors pop. I like the way it looks using that profile, but it might be a bit too bright and that is getting off the point. I am trying to figure out why ViewNX 2 renders the images differently than other programs. In ViewNX 2 there is an option to change "RGB Default Profile" under the Default Profiles for Images header, but that makes no visible difference so I keep it set at the sRGB default.

So can anyone explain what exactly is happening with the way the images are rendered?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back