Color temperature, lenses and stuff

Brond

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello y'all!

I am very new to this - in fact I am still figuring out what to purchase.

I've got a nikon d5100 bought a few years ago. Now I'm starting a business making and selling beautiful art lamps online, and each time I complete a new one, a picture has to be taken and uploaded. So, I thought I'd give it a go myself.

I am considering buying a new lens, but I'm unsure what lens to go with. Any input would be appreciated.

I think I have decided to go with continuous lighting, because of for what and where I am using them (still items, in my studio), because they are cheaper, and because of the "what you see is what you get" aspect of it.

But then I got to read and watch a bit about white balance, and I was told that with certain speedlights, when they are at different power output, the color balance is different even though they are same make and model - which is a huge problem because you can't solve that problem with adjusting your camera's white balance or in post work. The color temperature has to be uniform while shooting. So, my question is, if I buy this kit

CanadianStudio Pro 4500 Watt Photo Studio Video Lighting Softbox Boom Hair Light Kit- Free shipping - 60002 Amazon.ca Electronics

and has the key light on with 4 lights, the fill on with 2 and the kicker full on with 5 lights - will I get 3 different color temperatures, or do they stay enough in the same temperature range, that it isn't a problem?

And also, please let me know what you think about the lighting kit I am considering to buy.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I'm assuming these are glass lamps, in which case lighting can be tricky. It's not difficult, once you have some practice, but it takes a bit of work. I wouldn't buy anything before I'd bought and read the lighting bible. The kit you've linked to is adequate, 4500 watts may sound like a lot of light, but really, it's not that much; you may be into some longer exposures. With reguards to your WB question, in the way that you are referring to it, it won't be a problem with this kit because the the output is varied by turning the number of lights off or on, NOT lowering the power to a single light. That said, the colour temperature of these inexpensive fluorescent tubes can be a bit... varied.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Thank you for your reply! I feel more comfortable about making the buy now (I was worried it was too much power). But I will read the lighting bible before making any buy! Heck, I'm been "studying" for about 2 weeks (I'm a slow student), so I want to make the right decision. Not overkill (I'm just starting out) but also not getting something that can't deliver...

Yup, my lamps are glossy glass, frosted glass, fabric (mat) and wood (oiled, semi-gloss). I'm willing to learn and practice.

Could you tell me if it is both the fixture AND the light bulbs that are inexpensive? I mean, could I buy the kit I'm looking at, and then upgrade buy buying better quality light bulbs? And then, having done that, down the line, by better fixtures? Sort of upgrade in steps, a way to solving the WB issue with these starter kits being a bit varied in output.

A related question, I'd like to get some strip softboxes down the line, and my question is if the fitting is the same for all flourescent light fixtures, or do I have to be careful to purchase a strip softbox that is compatible with the setup I buy? And I could ask the same about light stands - I don't expect these stands to be super quality (but not having to move them around, I think I'm okay for now) but I would like to know if the mounting mechanism is standard, so I just can buy any light stand?

Just make sure in your studio that you don't introduce sunlight (cover windows, etc) .. as that would be another color to deal with to throw your WhiteBalance off.

That one mentioned book (Light Science & Magic ) is great for learning everything, but here's a good website to do some reading too ==> Understanding White Balance

Thank you, that is good advice. I will check out the link!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back