-=COLOR THEORY=-

Majik Imaje

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
majikimaje.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
THIS IS A MUST: to understand! no matter if your using photoshop or in a real chemical darkroom

If I take a piece of cardboard circle and divide it into thirds.. and paint each third a different color,red, green, blue, when I spin that cardboard.. (on a pin in the center) what color will I see?

I did this on a 3d program by using just lights aimed at the floor

One red light one blue light one green light. and you can see the proof

when that cardboard is spun.. you will see the color WHITE!

Colors.jpg

Very cool. I like this a lot.

Practice...

Now.Remember the words.. and the rest will come later with practice

Red - green -blue are additve colors this is another way of printing

cyan magenta yellow are subtactive this is another way of printing.

Subtractive color printing is the most popular

Additive prrinting requires multiple exposures

DYE TRANSFER is the absoute best there is . using chemicals

todays color printers (high end) can surpass that !

the oppostie of red is cyan
the opposite of green is magenta
the opposite of blue is yellow

those three relationships are CRITICAL to understand no matter whether your working in a "darkroom" using chemicals. or in a "lighthroom" using a computer.

Phtoshop is the INDUSTRY STANDARD !

I like the COLOR WHEEL in Painter!
wheel.JPG

NOW TO MAKE THE MOST gorgeous color images possible.....LEARN...how to use colors & their compliments.... ..in Juxtaposition with one another.

I read those words.. in a book.. in 1970 ...the sentence started with the word LEARN... and this comes with ? PRACTICE.! it took me less than a minute to "remember" those words .. but it took me years how to LEARN how to put them into PRACTICE.

Learning how to correct color shifts in photographs is going to take a LOT OF practice & errors, before your going to become profient at it.

Color shift correction techiques by Kodak.. check it out and study the "ring-a-rounds" try to SEE what color is in excess!

Kodak makes a color correction filter cards that allow you to view visually

what will happen when you make adjustments using that color or its

compliment to adjust the filter pack to compensate.

I will try and post more tips in here as I find them !

Don't forget that there is a difference between Additive and subtractive. If you use Light then RGB is addative and will give white. But if you use ink that is subtractive and will give black. Hence RGB is usually applied to light sources, and CMYK (Cyan, Magenta, Yellow and Key (Black) is usually applied to inks, dies etc as they are subtractive.
A good base on using coloUr in compositions is a book by Johannes Itten Called the elements of coloUr.

involves the use of Yellow and magenta filters only. cyan is never used for negatives because all it does is increase exposure time due to Netural density.
Subtractvive color printing in a darkroom is the most popular printing method used
I have in my possession Color Separations.. that a newspaper made for some image of mine

they are clear.. transparent. one is cyan or clear the other is yellow or clear the other is magenta or clear.. when all three are combined I see natural colors. from white.. to black just from those three masks.

thanks for the info on the books!! I look forward to reading it

Most reactions

New Topics

Back