color vs. b&w with dslr

soap266

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Im a huge fan of traditional look. But I feel that if I shot in b&w on my dslr that it isn't using to the full extent. Basically who here shoots b&w over color with digital when they have the option

Do you shoot RAW? If you do, you can shoot black and white - then the JPEG would be b/w but the RAW would be colored. That might give you an idea of what the image might look like b/w and then you can tweak the RAW file to make it they way you want it.

Someone on here recommended doing that but I can't remember who now.

Sometimes i shoot b&w jpeg by mistake. Which is fun to do.

Shooting with the B&W option in-camera is for convenience.

It is better to shoot RAW with the full color information ... then convert in post-processing. This allows you to control the monotone conversion of each color layer, which tends to produce better results than the conversion algorithms built into the camera's.
There are also many good "plug-ins" built (for software packages) already to emulate characteristics of true B&W film.

Using both RAW?JPEG also gives you the opportunity to learn just what type of images work in black and white, and which doesn't.

As others have suggested, converting after the fact is going to give you better tonal range and control

Last edited:
You should try to "see" in black and white. If you manage to disregard the colours in a scene you're in, it's easier to notice the high contrast areas, lines, textures and shapes and all that stuff.

No one. Your camera uses an RGB sensor. It ALWAYS shoots in colour. In camera conversions are mediocre at best. If you really like B&W, and want to shoot digital, then shoot RAW and use a product such as NiK Silver Effex to convert.

Or Adobe Camera Raw/Lightroom - HSL/Grayscale adjustment, or a Photoshop - B&W adjustment layer, or a Photoshop Channel Mixer layer, or any of the others.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back