Colored vs. Black and White

AngelosPhotography

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
To get straight to the point, which one do you prefer? The Black and White version or the colored one?

Shot with an 18-55mm kit lens (yes, this lens is actually a beast for its price).

8559441716_a848836e29_c.jpg

8559441752_ae62f1ddf6_c.jpg

It's a flower.
Flowers are pretty because of their shape and their color.
B&W pictures generally appeal because of the interesting shapes and tones.
Flower, in this case, is too small in the frame to have any distinct appeal due to its shape and, in B&W, the lovely tones of the background in color become murky grey.
BUT flower is dead center with lots of non-contributing space around it and the other flowers form a rather unattractive shape around it.

So, I would start again, closer and from a different angle or with a different flower cluster.

I actually stopped at this and studied both versions. Then I moved on because I couldn't decide. THAT alone should have given me the answer. A B&W that works will hit me instantly for the reasons Lew just gave. This one doesn't have that "YES!" factor.

So then I go back to the color and, without trying to sound cruel, I'm just bored. It's a small flower surrounded by green.

Again Lew's right. I think this one should get a second chance. I don't know if the position bothers me so much, but it definitely needs to fill the frame. Maybe something like this...

View attachment 38818

Last edited:
As much as I like b&w, this is a color shot for me, but one that needs a little color correction. I would like to see the flower be white and it looks gray to me.

I think deeky said it for me..white whites, not gray whites and Rick makes a good case for its relative boring-ess...not much to hold one's attention for more than a glance. A reshoot is definitely in order.

I would agree with what has been said so far and I would add that the first one looks over sharpened. Colour imagery of flowers has to grab the viewer with the colours and the colour contrast, or some other effect that makes it stand out. Whereas black and white is usually based on tones, tonal gradation or range, and contrast. Not every colour image is necessarily a good candidate for a black and white conversion. Check out a recent publication by John Batdorff - http://www.amazon.com/Black-White-S...&qid=1363397396&sr=1-1&keywords=john+batdorff. There are numerous others on black and white photography as well, this is just one of the more recent ones.

Also, if you are serious about flower photography, then check out some of the work of Harold Davis, Clive Nichols and Denise Ippolito.

WesternGuy

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Most reactions

Back