Colour film developing issues

jordi schoffelen

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hi guys, I'm new to this forum. Although I have been reading and enjoying the content the last couple of months, I've decided to join because I'm currently struggling with a bit of a problem I'd like to get your advice on.

After developing BW film successfully for years now, this year I wanted to start a colour photography project. However, developing colour film does not seem to go that smoothly. On multiple occasions, both on 120 and sheet film I get these banding effect (see the examples below / these are straight scans and I can see the banding on the negatives as well). I have also included a digital contact sheet.

I use kodak portra and kodak ektar film and develop with a tetenal c41 kit at 38 degrees Celsius. I use a Stark SST4 film processor and rotary development .

Can you maybe tell me what I may be doing wrong.

Thank you very much on your help!

Attachments

• 1910_06.jpg
    1910_06.jpg
    363.3 KB · Views: 203
  • 1910_05.jpg
    1910_05.jpg
    187 KB · Views: 233
  • Contactblad 17-025.jpg
    Contactblad 17-025.jpg
    963 KB · Views: 206
Looks to like insufficient agitation of the film developer. When the agitation level is not high enough, depleted chemicals near the emulsion surface are not replenished in time to complete the development process and can accumulate and slide across the film. This retards film development in large areas causing streaks that compromise the integrity of the negatives.

Thanks for your insight. Could this be overcome by a) larger quantity of film developer (I only used the amount stated on the JOBO tank) and/or b) increasing the rotary speed?

Thanks again!

Certainly appears to be a chemistry issue. Only used a tetinal kit once. Powders seemed to dissolve fully. Your rotary processor would manage consistant agitation. Wonder if the film was somehow touching itself or the side of the tank. Tetinal chemistry is reusable so filling your tank to capacity would be a good idea.

Not to hijack the thread, but I have gotten a lot of this in film developed by Pro Photo. But for MY film... one side will be a shade darker. With black and white film like Tri-x 400, one side will be solid black.

Chemistry issue or just bad processing?

Post some sample images so we know exactly that you're describing.

heres a few saved on pc don't want to go digging for old negatives..

Attachments

• IMG_0001.jpg
    IMG_0001.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 173
  • IMG_0002.jpg
    IMG_0002.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 178

Most reactions

Back