colour film developing

ferny

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.blueyedmuffin.co.uk
Has anyone had a go at this? I know it's harder than b&w as the temps have to be exact. I'd be willing to give it a go soon (he says even before his dev tank has arrived).

And out of interest, what happens if you develop colour film in the way that you do b&w? It just comes out crap? No funkyness like you get with you develop colour film as a slide?

Excuse the stupid question. But expect more as I go along.

C41 (color negs) and E6 (color pos) are different from the normal BW process. I did them in college, but unlike BW process, it's probably cheaper to have them commercially done (although with the digi revolution this may change in time).

I've never tried to develop C41 color negs in BW process, but I did accidentally do a roll of C41 BW using regular BW process. The negs came out, although a little thin.

ferny said:
By thin do you mean pale? Or physically thin?

When people say "thin" they are refering to the density of the silver or dyes on the neg. So yes, sort of pale I guess.

What difference does that make to the final print? Or does it just mean the negatives are more delicate?

You're really earning your keep today.

What, you don't get paid?!?! :shock:

ferny said:
What difference does that make to the final print? Or does it just mean the negatives are more delicate?

You're really earning your keep today.

What, you don't get paid?!?! :shock:

It means that there isn't as much info on the negs. Thin negs are usually a result of under exposure or reduced development time, exhausted developer, etc... Dense negs are usually the result of overexposure or increased development times. Good negs that are easy to print would be neither too dense nor too thin, but just right :wink:

Most reactions

Back