TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hi I am being freaked out by the colour space problem

given below is a jpg opened in photoshop,and the way I want it to look

photoshoppc0.jpg

and here is the same opened in the win xp image viewer

windowswq5.jpg

there is a lot of color diffrence :banghead:

and here is the cap of my color settings in photoshop.

colourdf6.jpg

I have the fuji finepix s9600 and it records in sRGB

please help

Do you have the color profile on your monitor set to sRGB? In photoshop under "view" is your proof set-up sRGB? The funny thing about your problem is that usually images in windows viewer look over saturated. Your image almost looks grayscale. Just as a test click "monitor rgb" under proof set-up and see if there is a color shift in photoshop. Here's another test, save the image for web and use the "two-up" feature and see if the images are substantially different.

Do you have the color profile on your monitor set to sRGB? In photoshop under "view" is your proof set-up sRGB? The funny thing about your problem is that usually images in windows viewer look over saturated. Your image almost looks grayscale. Just as a test click "monitor rgb" under proof set-up and see if there is a color shift in photoshop. Here's another test, save the image for web and use the "two-up" feature and see if the images are substantially different.

Ok

if I set it to sRGB things don't really change much

but when I set it to monitorRGB it looks like the image in explorer.

now what?

Could you post the image itself, complete with any EXIF data, and/or tell us what colour space the image itself is tagged with.

Thanks,
Helen

I think I finally got it

photoshop was displaying me the wrong colours,

the top image was actually black and white,it was foolish of me not to realize that I am not getting accurate black and white.

The proof setup then was CYMK but changing that to sRGB did not change much.

Then I changed the proof setup to monitor RGB and I got the black and white image in photoshop as seen in the explorer.

To make things better I ran the colour caliberation utility of
corel paint shop pro photo X2 which gave me a new color profile for my monitor.

I made that profile as default for my monotor,and now I am seeing the correct black and white image in photoshop with sRGB set as proof setup,
and I am getting the same result in the explorer as well as in lightroom

correct me if I am still doing something wrong.

I think I finally got it

photoshop was displaying me the wrong colours,

the top image was actually black and white,it was foolish of me not to realize that I am not getting accurate black and white.

The proof setup then was CYMK but changing that to sRGB did not change much.

Then I changed the proof setup to monitor RGB and I got the black and white image in photoshop as seen in the explorer.

To make things better I ran the colour caliberation utility of
corel paint shop pro photo X2 which gave me a new color profile for my monitor.

I made that profile as default for my monotor,and now I am seeing the correct black and white image in photoshop with sRGB set as proof setup,
and I am getting the same result in the explorer as well as in lightroom

correct me if I am still doing something wrong.

Nope you are 100% right. Photoshop is completely colour managed. It will obey the colour space of the source, and convert it to the colour space of the monitor. This assumes that your monitor was right. Windows picture and fax viewer will obey the colour space of the source only, and convert it to sRGB. So if it looks right in windows fax viewer and wrong in photoshop and you know for a fact that your screen displays the sRGB gamut (manufacturers love to advertise when they display more than this so you would know), then the problem is in your windows settings.

Also if you want to be 100% certain, open the image in internet explorer except the most recent beta, and firefox again except the most recent beta. These are entirely non-colour managed applications and will display only sRGB images with no conversion outputted to sRGB.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back