Commander mode in d850

floridafan

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
In scrolling through the camera menu we don’t seem to find Commander Mode..
what are we doing wrong?

I think the D850 is like the D500 - in that you can use Radio AWL to fire off camera flashes. I always liked the ease of Commander Mode with the pop-up, but I prefer wireless.

I would check page 190 in the D850 Manual.

The Flash Control menu is only available when an SB-5000, SB-500, SB-400 or SB-300 is mounted.

Since the camera does not have a built in flash there is no way for it to control other units.

Exactly. You can set the commander mode on your flash. But since there is no builtin flash on a D850 (D500, D4, etc), there is also no commander mode.

Apparently the SB5000, SB500, SB400 and SB300 dont actually allow to set commander mode on the flash unit and instead have to get it set in camera. I didnt knew that.

My SB910 and SB800 definitely can enable commander mode on the flash unit, though.

i honestly didn't think anyone in the entire world used commander mode.

I think the D850 is like the D500 - in that you can use Radio AWL to fire off camera flashes. I always liked the ease of Commander Mode with the pop-up, but I prefer wireless.

I find the Aircraft carrier very useful

Get an SU800. It makes off camera flash simple and easy.

no radio, no care. Nikon is incredibly behind the curve when it comes to wireless flash control.

We have already moved on to BT phone apps to control flashes, and they are still playing around with ancient tech that never really worked well in the first place and is only compatible with their other overpriced behind-the-curve flashes.

Last edited:
I purchased a Phottix Ares II. I hope that will work for my wife...

So doing a shoot tomorrow and wanting to use the D850, my wife will be limited to only having a flash mounted on her camera, or reverting to the D7100... Is that how it must go? We have an SB900 and SB700...

So doing a shoot tomorrow and wanting to use the D850, my wife will be limited to only having a flash mounted on her camera, or reverting to the D7100... Is that how it must go? We have an SB900 and SB700...

In order to use the "Commander Mode" on the D850 and/or trigger your flash you need to purchase the following...

Nikon WR-R10/WR-T10/WR-A10 Wireless Remote Adapter Set...but Nikon discontinued the item...

As far as I am aware Nikon has not released an updated version as of my writing...

However, you can purchased third party items like the pocket wizards to trigger your flash off camera...

As for me, I use the Phottix Odin II system for Nikon (I bought both the trigger transmitter & as many trigger receivers as I have flashes - I have 2 SB 910's & 1 SB 700).

If you ask why I purchased the Phottix over the Pocket Wizards, simple Customer Service for Phottix answered the phone when I called, Pocket Wizard, I had to leave a message & they called back in about a week later.

I figured, if this is how there customer service is prior to having an issue, stay away lol

Good Luck,

Enezdz

So that went well! I will post some pictures when they are ready. I did buy the Photixx II but it arrives tomorrow, lol!

Most reactions

Back