Comments and Critique for B&W

Weaving Wax

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Shoes.jpg

I'm not too sure if this is too dark, too pixelated or the white on the shoes are too light. I wanted the white on the shoes to have a haunting glow, but had a difficult time doing so. I'm really trying to hone my skills with B&W.

Alley.jpg

This one I was trying to bring out the details of the broken sidewalk and the building...don't know if I did a good job.

I hope I'm not posting too much of my work here..

No tennis shoes shall be left behind!

I'm wondering if the first shot would look better in a portrait format?

The sidewalk is a good shot, but doesn't say anything. Maybe a puppy dog or a bottle of wine in a paper bag and a dirty jacket? Hmmm.. how about a fat wallet?

I'm not too sure if this is too dark, too pixelated or the white on the shoes are too light. I wanted the white on the shoes to have a haunting glow, but had a difficult time doing so. I'm really trying to hone my skills with B&W.

I think you did good on both of these.
I like the shoes the best.
I see what you mean about the white maybe being too bright.
It's hard to say.
I'm very new to all this. But it seems it might be dificult to get the shoes less bright and not have the shadow too dark.
I think it's nice the way it is.

Is that the camera strap? ;)

Thanks! Actually that is my headphone cord coming out of my Ipod. :) There should've been more in the alley pic, but for some reason, the simple, plain and dull are fascinating to me.

The first shot seems sideways to me. The contrast and tonality are effective.

The second shows too much of the street; the background is distracting. I'd try moving further away from the wall, pointing more at the wall, and perhaps a bit downward, so the focus is on the part of the scene you're wanting to emphasize. All that business in the upper left hand corner is very distracting; makes it seem like that's the subject of the photograph. And I like the idea you stated better.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back