Comments on exposure problems

kundalini

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I would like some advice on these photos. I guessing C&C is for comments and critiques, but that's my assumption. I put the original to get advice on exposure problems and the edited one for what I did right or wrong. This is first time trying to insert IMG code as well, so my fingers are crossed.

The girl was sitting under the shade of a sidewalk restaruant table. Hard sunshine in the backgound late in the afternoon. What can be done to either bring out details of background or to eliminate and focus on subject.
4a.jpg

How's the cropping? Maybe too much adjustment with contrast (i.e. the car on left).
4b.jpg

Cheers.....

Try and use some fill flash on the subject so that you can expose for the background.

There are many problems here, first off the background is blown out and you cannot recover any of the detail in this area, second you need a fill flash and third the focus of the picture is actually on the lady behind your subject, I would say ditch the picture and try again.

yeah fill flashes are best for outdoor portraits especially.

Thanks all, well noted. I hope I can run into her again and give it another try. Nerves played heavily. First time in public with the new gear, first time meeting her.

Some say overexposed. I say high-key. When you re-do it with a fill flash just for fun try over exposing it MUCH more without the flash. Metre for the face and you will get a perfectly exposed subject surrounded by the ethereal glow of white.

Your meter is metering for the background and not your subject.
In this case though the BG is blown out but the subject is a litle under exposed. As other have suggested use a little fill flash and maybe try shooting into a similarly lit BG.

Good luck

Your meter is metering for the background and not your subject.

Metering? Is this where I should have used a center-weighted or spot? I come across this in the manual, but much like the rest of it, does not give much help for when and why.

Metering? Is this where I should have used a center-weighted or spot? I come across this in the manual, but much like the rest of it, does not give much help for when and why.

All three should be fine, so long as you meter off the woman. Center might be better since it would assign more weight to the middle areas, and not the top which it assumes will be sky (bright light).

Most reactions

New Topics

Back