Commercial crit.

craig

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
craigblank.com
4x6 card I may hand out to perspective clients. I think it shows a variety of work. Not sure if it is boring or what. Maybe just three images? What are your thoughts on the text?

Until now I have not shown my commercial side. Pardon me.

cardweb19hj.jpg

i think it works well in its simplicity. It's not over complicated and that helps the viewer alot. It looks nice and clean. the typeface does its job, although it's not one of my personal favourites (is it copperplate or something like that?), i would have gone with a slightly more contemporary font. but that's just down to personal taste. Overall i think it looks really good and works well

The typeface you choose has a great deal with the image you are trying to project.
Serif fonts tend to look a little old-fashioned, but in a stodgy way. Gill sans is always in fashion, as is the Bauhaus font - but each says something different.
The same goes for the images you use. Most of them are quite busy and so they compete visually and it ends up looking messy. You want two more like the desk, then get rid of the one with the black background (it's too heavy for everything else) and the one bottom right.
I think it might even be better if you just stuck with four pics.
Always keep things simple and avoid the temptation to push too hard.

Nice shots though.

Hertz van Rental said:
The typeface you choose has a great deal with the image you are trying to project.
Serif fonts tend to look a little old-fashioned, but in a stodgy way. Gill sans is always in fashion, as is the Bauhaus font - but each says something different.
Nice shots though.

:thumbup: Yes this is how i look at serif and sans fonts, and i agree with JohnMF the copperplate isn't a fav of mine either.

It does depend on what market your going for..... you may want to go kind of old fashioned because of the client base your directing it at, or a clean typeface if your pitching mainly to the contemporary type.
Personally i would try to find something that shows class in a simple way... its not good to have fussy fonts competing with photography, but something that would appeal to either type of client would be best.
Century Gothic is one of my personal favs to achieve this... its modern and simple yet classy... Humanist, is also a good one... have a go see what you think.
As images go.... yea maybe cut down to four... it is only the centre black one that distracts me. Also try and keep the images all the same size... the two bottom ones for example are slightly different and looks a bit unprofessional.
Overall tho i think it coming on quite nicely :thumbup:

The Copperplate tends to be very imposing. Whenever I see that font, I think of anything but photography. Photography is a sophisticated hobby/profession and as such should have a font to match. The desk does't fit in with the whole scheme and I would suggest replacing it. The minimalist approace is working, but I would give serious thought to a coordinating background color or something that brings continuity to the advertisement.

Excellent!!! The comments give me a lot to think about. I think I will go with 3 or 4 images. The typeface will be a battle. Sans Serif may be the way to go.

The clients are/will be art directors (advertising) interior designers and home furnishings.

Nice, clean work.

I'm torn. The images are so small, but they show you do a range of work... from table top to interiors. One agency I'm associated with did a series of these, all with a different target... one for small products, one for location work, and so on.

I hope we get to see your final.

Again... very nice.

Pete

Thanks man!!! The card does not translate well on the screen.

I had strong intentions for the redo (thanks to you good folks), but now I am super busy. Once again the card falls to the bottom of the list.

What I get at a glance looking at the pictures, from top left to bottom right is: Kitchen/Interior Design (good shot), Hotel/Interior Design, Product, Too Dark to tell, Restaurant/Interior Design, Hotel/Restaurant/Interior design.

With the exception of the dark one which can't really be seen at this size, I'm not getting a consistent viewpoint of what it is you actually take commercial photos of, or for.

With that layout, I'd be really tempted to go for three super-wide shots or composites. The top one could be your hotel/restaurant/interior design type shot which could be an indoor panoramic - looks very "pro" and is different. The top one would have to be your strongest image. Then, for the middle, perhaps a selection of white background product shots, wooden furniture, ornaments etc. Finally, for the bottom shot, another type of project/work which you can/want to do.

Agree with the others on the type face, although I quite like the copperplate thingy one, it's seen a lot in furniture and similar magazines and fliers, so might sit well with that type of client.

I think it's a bit too busy with that many images - the eye doesn't track naturally, perhaps do an alternate zig zag with some text description of what you actually do opposite each picture?

Just some random thoughts for you, hope they help.

Rob

Most reactions

Back