common critique grounds

mysteryscribe

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
retrophotoservice.2ya.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Okay guys lets stop all the ego stroking and get to the common ground if there is any.

Define your idea of critique in ten words or less. No justifying it just define it. Maybe we can get a consensus on something.

Note I did not say expert critique since I have no idea who is qualifed to give one.

Here's what I liked;

from http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=882053

most certainly. if and only if one considers the process and the product of photography as an art, then all guidelines of art apply. note the usage of the word 'guidelines'. where does one begin? by learning the fundamentals that important in these areas (the short list):

center of interest

subject placement

simplicity

viewpoint and camera angle

balance

shapes and lines

pattern

volume

lighting

texture

tone

contrast

framing

foreground

background

perspective

if one considers it an art, then one must submit to their work being critiqued as art. if one states that photography is all subjective, then by default he/she participates in photography as a hobby.

beeep more than ten words,,, but I will play along.... A man makes a living as a professional photographer but doesn't follow anybody's rules.. So is it a hobby?....

Didn't see that- I read for enjoyment, not comprehension.

Nope.

"What do you like or dislike about my picture, and how can I improve it?"

15 words, so sue me.

Yes, "it is boring" would be a valid critique in my world.

Both objective AND subjective criticisms would be ok...after all, this is both technique AND art. Or it's supposed to be.

Define your idea of critique in ten words or less. No justifying it just define it. Maybe we can get a consensus on something.

Note I did not say expert critique since I have no idea who is qualifed to give one.

An evaluation of the impact of the photo based on technique and composition. More than 10 words but that is expert critique and I do have the background to be qualified to give one.

skieur

to review or analayze

Most reactions

Back