Communicating with Customers about Wedding

I have been looking into the option of printing a custom cased and custom CD/DVD and offer that too. Just have not decided. I would still be offering them something special ???

My example would be when a few of my customers request that a custom design be a "one of", requesting that I could never duplicate the design again. I say Sure! We can do that, but that will add $XXXX.XX to the price of the item.

That is workable in the jewelry business because you keep control of the quality of the end product. Selling a copyright release takes that control away from the photographer and since our images are the main part of our professional image, I would never do business that way.
I understand that. What I was putting forth in this instance was generally to get the customer to not agree to it. She wants budget pricing, and demanding a whole lot for it, price it out of her range. It's a tool to finagle the customer back to the way you do business, and still seem willing to work with them. $$$ is a great tool used for decision making.

Agreed and I figured that was what you were saying but it can be dangerous. Some people are crazy enough and may agree to the high price... What happens then?

C.Cloud! I agree but disagree LOL.... My first thought is to say then I am not the photographer for you.

But My problem is I am trying to get my name out there. I am not a huge fan of Weddings but I do them cause they are great training and I learn a ton from each one and I love the challenge. Is there some counter offer I could offer her? I have done work for her family before.... two senior shoots and 3 family shoots. No Questions asked and they all booked the biggest packages and still added on stuff/ EXTENDED FAMILY. Also there family is huge. I know about 60 of them. I dont want to sound at all harsh and leave a bad taste.

HUM what to do.

You indeed have a dilemna. It sounds like a great family to have as a customer but only if you can keep them on your terms. Once you get away from your terms, how do you get back to them? Once you start going down on your rates, it is very hard to get them back up. Once you offer a CD or DVD, how do you say no to the next customer? Keep in mind that the main growth for wedding photography comes from word of mouth and that word of mouth includes what was paid and for what...

It is a tough one but that's partly why I don't and won't do weddings.

But My problem is I am trying to get my name out there.
So you're saying you don't have a marketing plan, or the plan you had isn't working as you had hoped?

The only way to met a prospects budget that is below your normal pricing, and still make money, is by cutting coverage and/or product in your package. At some point you have no choice but to say you can't accomodate their budget and they will have to look elsewhere.

I would recommend never using (or acknowledging), the term 'copyright release', instead using the term 'use license' or the not quite as accurate term 'print release'. I would also convey the notion that your images cost the same, regardless the media they are presented on, be it as a print, in an album, or a digital file on a CD.

It's also helpful if your contract/price sheet have a clause that mentions the images the client sees are chosen at your sole discretion, and they will only see the highest quality images produced. Because of the pace of a wedding, not all images made turn out well, and many images are so close to being the same shot it is neither time nor cost effective (their cost) to finalize all the images made . So, they will not see out-takes, nor images that do not meet your standards of professionalquality (blinked, moved, experimental shot didn't work, etc,) .

Hi again,

Well your questions seem to be quick and to the point so no worries with that. (When you mentioned questionairre I imagined pages of questions. :))

Don't get me wrong. There is still good money out there. My husband and I still make a comfortable living. It's just that we have to work harder with the networking and soforth where we didn't have to do all that before. Our old client close rate was in the 90 percent range and now it's more like the 70 percent range.

And I have to bend a bit more than I did in the past with potential clients. I have to be a bit flexible sometimes. Not with money, because there is a line in the sand there, but I'm finding myself doing selective coloring if asked to, even if it makes me personally want to barf. The sad thing is if the money is all the same, with competition like it is, my contemporaries are gonna offer it if I don't just to seal the deal and then I start thinking to myself, "Was it worth it to lose a job for X amounts of dollars because I refused to do selective color? It's not like I'd ever show it to anyone ever anyway. :)

You should never give your work away and you are right to hold it in high regard. You should also stick with your morals. But it doesn't hurt to be flexible. If you decide to take this job, it might lead to many many other jobs, and the more jobs you have, the more you can afford to be picky.
Hugs to you.

That is workable in the jewelry business because you keep control of the quality of the end product. Selling a copyright release takes that control away from the photographer and since our images are the main part of our professional image, I would never do business that way.
I understand that. What I was putting forth in this instance was generally to get the customer to not agree to it. She wants budget pricing, and demanding a whole lot for it, price it out of her range. It's a tool to finagle the customer back to the way you do business, and still seem willing to work with them. $$$ is a great tool used for decision making.

Agreed and I figured that was what you were saying but it can be dangerous. Some people are crazy enough and may agree to the high price... What happens then?
What happens then? You do it because you priced it to be more than worth your while.

I spent the last year working on my marketing plan and figuring out the prices that work for me to do the job. The prices I have pay me what I want to be paid after all expenses and cost. I have learn to make the pricing fit what I personnaly want to make per hour of work taking into fact Editing time, Travel, shooting time, equipment cost and some extra for unforseen circumstances. I have done my home work. My problem is that I might not fit into what the folks want. Another problem I am finding is that by allow a client to EXCHANGE certain things for a CD or DVD I can make extra money. A nice little bit extra that helps cover the fact that I am almost always giving up the chance for them to order more prints. But that is ok cause then it is actual money instead of me hoping they order. So it might be cost effective. BUT THEN my emotional side that says that the moment I hand a bride a beautiful made and high quality album and to see the look on their face and I had one tear up and cry looking through it. That is what I want to sell. That is my heart and what drives me.

But what I am learning is that this is business.

I think it would be really smart to offer it both ways. Some people just want prints at the end of the day, so I'd give them a price for that.

Other people need to know that they are "in control" by having the disc. Give them a price for that.

But I want to agree with Big Mike about some of the misconceptions of having a disc. The disc I give my clients is writelocked and only they can view and use it. They can't copy it. So all of those people and family at the wedding or out of state are out of luck.....or are they?

Nope! I put up a client gallery for two months and bring it back on their anniversary and Christmas. You would be amazed at how much money I make off of those galleries. (Typically around a thousand a month from current and past galleries). Guests buy every photo of there kid, and all the ones of them dancing and dressed up. I hate shooting formals, but this is a big one too. Don't get me started on table shots. And even the Bride and Groom buy because they've seen the kind of print I give them on the engagement/bridal shoot and what some hack at Walmart gives them. So they spend the extra bucks to come to me.

But honestly you just gave me an idea. I might start offering a small print credit, because I KNOW they will pick more than I've allowed for, and that will be all profit! Yippee!

Last edited:
When I send them the disc, it's in this insanely beautiful silk CD folio with a 4x6 photo. I put the folio into a custom bag with pretty ribbons, some candy, and a thank you note. They DO know that they have recieved something special.

Well it seems you are going in the right direction. You just need to know that you can be a businessman and STILL make them cry with heartfelt emotion. :)

That was the hope for me and it has worked on about 50 percent of the jobs. The Print Credit starts them off and my hope is for them to get crazy and go over bored. I had a senior that got my biggest package that had $75 in print credit and they ordered over 300 dollars worth. That was great order then they sent me three more seniors on top. That is word of mouth.

I think I will start to offer the CD/DVD in exchange for the Album and Print Credit! Might Leave a $50 print credit to entice them and see how that works. All of this and I am still almost positive that I am not getting this gig! LOL I am hopefully but I not expecting!! LOL Still one thing I can get from this is to learn! I still have so much to learn!!!

I think it's a good decision. You sparked a good conversation and I for one learned something that I think will help me in the future.
Hugs!

Also reposting the Gallery sounds like a great idea.... I love the anniversary idea too!!! Mind if I use it??

Thanks Everyone this is a great discussion and has help me with a lot.... If anyone has any more input or ideas please do talk up! Looking to learn as much as possible!

Also totally off the subject but has anyone ever offered PROPOSAL Pictures? Meaning... Advertise to men! You gonna propose! have us there! Would this be possible. Another photographer that helps me with Weddings and I were tossing around the idea!

I think it's a good decision. You sparked a good conversation and I for one learned something that I think will help me in the future.
Hugs!

Thanks to you!!!! It is hard to have these conversations with people who are not in the business and also It always helps me to get things off my chest! I am writing the response letter to her now! Thanks again! I will keep yall posted how this one turns out!

Also reposting the Gallery sounds like a great idea.... I love the anniversary idea too!!! Mind if I use it??

Thanks Everyone this is a great discussion and has help me with a lot.... If anyone has any more input or ideas please do talk up! Looking to learn as much as possible!

Also totally off the subject but has anyone ever offered PROPOSAL Pictures? Meaning... Advertise to men! You gonna propose! have us there! Would this be possible. Another photographer that helps me with Weddings and I were tossing around the idea!

Of course you can use it!
I haven't done proposal photos, but I know people that have and it seems like a terrific idea.

I'm glad these posts helped you, and I think we all learned something so thanks for starting the topic. I can't wait to see how it goes.

Thanks

SIDE NOTE

I just got a email back from MINITRUCK Magazine about some show coverage I did 3 weeks ago and they are interested in my work for a FULL COVERAGE Truck!!!!!! I am so excited!

Most reactions

Back