Compact cameras are slippery

Tasmaster

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Discuss.

Inspired by another thread and me dropping and catching my father's F30 before it hit the ground.

I often find myself balancing my D40 in my hand rather than gripping it tightly; it just stays in there. Compact cameras on the other hand seem designed with the single purpose of looking silky smooth and hoping you wear the strap! Every single one that i remember handling was like that.

Maybe that's why the G10 looks so attractive.

My Yashica is a god send as far as holdability goes. That contured rubber grip may look funkey but it works well, I really have to do something stupid to drop it. My Kodak however....worthless, slicker than snot, I'm dropping it constantly.

I have never thought about this. You are right. All the compact cameras have a fake brushed aluminium look usually on a plastic body. All my SLRs have leather / rubber grips.

i dropped a nikon coolpix 4600 right on the extended lens and broke it. thats the only one that broke... but i've dropped my p&s cameras countless times. never dropped any of my DSLRs though. strange topic... but good point.

I havent dropped any of my cameras! YEEEYYY

My moms camera has a ruber grip thing on it that helps....and all of my cameras are covered with leather, rubber, or something grippy (sandpaper is NOT a good choice for grip!, i tried taping some to my box camera and it wasnt a fun day shooting, I ended up taking it off and buying an actual camera repair kit to redo the leather)

I havent dropped any of my cameras! YEEEYYY

My moms camera has a ruber grip thing on it that helps....and all of my cameras are covered with leather, rubber, or something grippy (sandpaper is NOT a good choice for grip!, i tried taping some to my box camera and it wasnt a fun day shooting, I ended up taking it off and buying an actual camera repair kit to redo the leather)

Obviously you used the wrong sand paper :lol:

Actually, I think some 400 or maybe 600 grit wet/dry paper would not have been too bad, may have actually worked, but I don't suggest it.

I got a compact (my first) a couple of days ago, and sure enough i dropped it the following day. Thank Casio for the wrist strap, it was on and on it shall stay!

I take it the D-Lux 3 didn't survive... bummer.

My wife is a clutz (she admits it). For her birthday, I bought her those Olympus tough P&S cameras that are shock and water proof. She and my 2 year old drop it all the time... still works. The IQ is at par with most consumer P&S but the durability of that little sucker is pretty impressive.

Needless to say, neither are allowed to touch my other cameras.

I'm on compacts for almost six years and never dropped one
also the strap is always on!

Most reactions

Back