Compact, Travel Tripod thats Good Quality?

JD in Socal

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I've got a Bogen tripod that I'm happy with for all-around use. I keep it with my gear and use it all the time.

What I am after now is a decent-quality tripod that is small enough to fit in my backpack (Tamrac Adventure 7) and carry around for the day. I'm going on a trip soon and doing the usual sight-seeing things. I am not going to carry the full-sized tripod around all day, but there are times when I will want some sort of tripod.

My camera is a Canon 30D and I need to be able to support that and my 70-200 2.8 lens, so say 6 pounds or so. The small travel tripods I see are mostly wimpy models made for small cameras and tourists (okay, so I will be a tourist too). I can live with a tabletop-sized one if necessary, but it would be nice to be able have enough height to use it on the ground if necessary. It seems to me that about 16" or so of folded length and under 2 pounds is about my size limit.

Anyone found a good solution for this?

JD

What about a monopod? It's good for all but really long exposures. I use one for hikes/walks/tourism stuff.

I do have a monopod, which I find I really only use for shooting my kid's sports (its perfect for that).

The thing a monopod won't do for me is let me get in the picture. Like most designated photographers, I have lots of great pics of all of my family except myself. We are going on a trip to another city and will be visiting lots of interesting (and historic) places. I would like to be able to get some family pics, with me included, in a few of the really interesting spots. I'm not sure until I get there what spots might be most interesting, so I'm not going to lug around the full-sized tripod all day "just in case".

I can't be the only one here with this requirement. What are the rest of you guys using?

JD

How about the Sunpack Versipod 2? I don't think it would work on uneven ground though.

http://www.adorama.com/SUVP2MB.html?sid=11728644961143190

SUVP2MB.JPG

Bogen makes a great one. This has been about the best $40 I've ever spent in photography. The ball head locks tight, and it stays in my bag always.

Here are a couple shots of it:
Bogen_TableTop1.jpg

Bogen_TableTop3.jpg

Bogen_TableTop2.jpg

Know what else is cool about it? The ball head is removable. It threads right off, so that you can put any standard tripod head on there. You could switch the head out with your full size bogen head, if you had a mind to.

Jeremy,

That is a great solution! I have seen one like that in a catalog, but didn't realize how it folds up so small. It may not work in every instance, but I won't mind carrying it around all day. I need one of those for sure.

Thanks for answering, and for taking the trouble to post the pics. I appreciate the help.

JD

I saw this in the store the other day and it was probably one of the most unique designs in a tripod I've seen in a long time. Well constructed for a Cullmann.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/con...s&Q=&sku=447424&is=REG&addedTroughType=search

It packs just as small as the one above (a little heavier) and you got a center column to adjust height.

I personally use the Cullmann Magic 2. A lot of people don't like it but I think it works great.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/con...ls&Q=&sku=14703&is=REG&addedTroughType=search

Folds flat and fits right inside a backpack or small bag. Unfolds to almost full height tripod.

Jeremy,

That is a great solution! I have seen one like that in a catalog, but didn't realize how it folds up so small. It may not work in every instance, but I won't mind carrying it around all day.
You would be surprised at how often it will bail you out. I only use it as a "tripod" about 50% of the time. The other 50%, I hold it against a wall, column, boulder; whatever is handy. Since it comes with a ballhead, you can get the camera oriented correctly no matter how crooked the bracing surface is. The ballhead locks tightly. It frees me from using faster ISO settings, and from worrying about low shutter speeds. I combine this with the 2s self timer on my K100D, which does the mirror lock-up, and it is almost magical.[/quote]

Thanks for answering, and for taking the trouble to post the pics. I appreciate the help.
No problem. I try to answer people the way I'd like answers myself. :)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back