Compare Canon 20D and Nikon D200!

Rose

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
..was wondering if anyone had any information about comparison, or anyone made any experiences with these two cameras...

what do you think, which ones better, a better investment, or i guess better value? id be interested also which one, if any, people on this forum have!

i have no lesnes that will fit either so for me its purely about the camera and of course lens. i would assume that the 'kit lenses' for these cameras are better than the kit lenses for the Canon 350D or the nikon D50..??!

i've never used a nikon SLR or DSLR so i can't really compare, but I have been really happy with my 20D. Try them both if possible and see which one feels best to you.

[edit]i just checked out the D200, that was the first i had heard of it, it looks really nice, i would have considered switching to nikon had this been out 6 months ago... as it is, i will probably be a canon lifer... i doubt you could go wrong with either camera...

also, i have heard that the kit lenses aren't really that great, and you should consider going with the 50 mm instead. i got the 17-85mm IS lens for my 20D instead of the kit lens, it makes for a nice setup.

hey i have just found this site for anyone who is interested:
http://www.letsgodigital.org/html/review/nikon/d200/dslr_EN3.html - comparing both cams.

i guess one things for sure, the nikon is about 300 USA dollars more, but once you spend over $1000, its hardly noticable...:grumpy: !!

well i started looking at canon 350D and it just didnt feel right, like i would have to replace it in a years time. then i looked at nikon 50D but it only has 6.1 mp and as my current sony camera has 5 mp, i really would like something more professional. Also when i read specks about nikon 50D, it always seems to say 'for beginners, new to digital, or non- photographers..' :confused:

but id like something thats going to last me at least 3-4 years, a camera i can make A3 prints with and larger... so im so keen on the canon 20D however if i get the expensive body, my lens will suffer! and visversa

so in other so i get the canon 350D with the 17-85mm (better) lens, or the canon 20D with the cheap lens (18--55mm). i must say i didnt like the feel of the lens though, so nasty and cheap...

there must be other people in this dilema?!

Also: digital camera sensor which is better CCD or CMOS? or is it not that simple? also sensor size is important right, well whats good and whats not?!

I'm quite happy with my 20d, but have also heard great things about the d200. It would be wise to check reviews before starting a comparison (not many people own the d200 yet, and therefore it's hard to find many good conclusions on its abilities). It would be a shame to only use these cameras with their kit lenses, as they don't take full advantage of the cameras' capabilities. Nikon's kit lenses do usually have a slight edge on their canon counterparts, but that fact alone should definitely not sway your decision. Right now you can find the 20d for some great prices, so I would say that it has a better value at this point. I'd do some research and see which one would fit your needs better.

Just about evey photo magazine has (or will have) a D200 on the cover...probably with a lot of caparisons to the 20D.

One thing about the Nikon is that is has weather sealing...which, if you need it, is a big advantage...but I've had my 20D soaked in the rain forest and it still works fine.

D200, is about 18 months newer. which is a long time in the competitve life of a digi-cam.

But both are very good cams, i guess it comes down to personal preference..

Krim :wink:

Well I am no good judge here but I can say I love canon cameras and from what I see form people who do shood digital canon is aobut 3 years infront of nikon as fare as the digitals go.

TheCanonMan said:
Well I am no good judge here but I can say I love canon cameras and from what I see form people who do shood digital canon is aobut 3 years infront of nikon as fare as the digitals go.

I think its clearly a matter of opinion, i am a big fan of Nikon camera's, and it seems clear to me that the D200 is a slightly better camera than the 20D, but then it is slightly more expensive. Pre D2x, there was an 18month period when cannon definatley had the upper hand, but that is no longer the case.

My ex bought a 20d from B&H last Jan, and it is a nice camera, but i never got used to it because i have always owned Nikons, and prefer them. always found Nikons a bit chunkier and more substantial, cannons fit girls hands better than Nikons :lmao: :lmao:

K

i am actually a big fan of both canon and nikon, so I'm pretty much on the sidelines for the whole canon/nikon thing. The d200 has a few edges on the 20d (I wish my 20d had +/- 5 stop exposure compensation and spot metering, for instance), but I still like the high ISO performance of the 20d more than what I've seen or heard about the d200. From my research (I've spent way too much time comparing nikon and canon...mostly for my initial decision on the 20d) I've concluded that canon has the upper hand on digital, but nikons are close behind and far ahead of the 'third place brand'. You could get either the 20d or the d200 and be quite happy. the truth is, both canon and nikon are pretty much 'tied' with eachother until it comes to their professional lines. Canon has more variety and a slight technological advantage there, IMO. I hope I don't run into some argument over this...I know that both 'sides' can get pretty defensive :)

I used to be a Canon Only Man until they came out with the EOS system and all of my lenses became unsable. Instead up upgrading to EOS, I switched to Nikon. There were more "project specific" lenses I could afford then upgrade everything to the New. If they would have retained backwards compatibility I'd probably still be using them. They do have a step up on Nikon when it comes to digi tech stuff, but Nikon has always been the Masters of film based ( more so in the market place anyway). The D200 and the 20d are both very formidable machines and most noticable differences more or less come down to how it feels in your hand.

Well, considering Canon pretty much owns my soul, I'll have to go with them, if you can handle the smaller screen.

Let me throw my take, in here:
I pushed ( I guess I could say, right Dave?) for "Santa" to bring me a D50 for Christmas. Why a D50 and not a D70 or a D200 you ask? I am fairly new to photography, learning as much and as fast as I can, So what good would a "Pro" camera be to me when I have know idea how to use all the things it can do. So by the time I am ready to move up, the Nikon D400 or Canon .25D will be out and ready to really break "Santa's" wallet.

In short it is all up to personal preference. One is always going to be better in one aspect or another.

Just my 2 cents,
Bill

WildBill said:
Let me throw my take, in here:
I pushed ( I guess I could say, right Dave?) for "Santa" to bring me a D50 for Christmas.
I have no idea what you are talking about.......hehe:lmao:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back