Comparing lenses

thunderkyss

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I've got a Nikon, My daughter has a Nikon. I asked her to bring her lenses home this weekend so I can try a them out & see what I like & what I don't like. I also have two lenses of my own, one that came with the camera & one I bought just because it was cheap.

So anyway, I originally wanted to see how her telephoto lenses would work with my camera in low light situations. Now by low light I mean photographing indoors under normal room lighting. Without a doubt I can see how larger apertures at a given focal length performs better in this situation.

I was also able to discern differences in sharpness between the lenses at different focal lengths & aperture settings. Differences in depth of field was also apparent.

What I wasn't expecting, was a difference in color saturation, contrast, & brightness.

This morning I went outside while the sun was out & took random shots with several of the lenses in program mode. What I found, is that the camera chose different settings for each lens at a given focal length, which leads me to believe the lens affects the metering of the camera.

Maybe that's general knowledge. Maybe that's something I should have known. But I didn't & I'd like to understand why.

Obviously, one lens allows more light than another. Why? Is there something I can look at to help me understand this? Is it the number of elements & groups of a particular lens? Is it the thickness of the elements? Is it the distance between the elements or the magnifying power of the final element? The total power of the whole group of elements?

There's also an obvious difference in how the lenses discern color. What is it? Why would greens and browns be more vivid with one lens than another? Why would this be a function of the lens & not the sensor in the body? Does this have to do with the coatings used in the manufacture of the lens?

One particular lens had a lens hood, could that explain some of the differences I saw with it?

Is it just my imagination? Do you see differences in contrast & hue with different lenses? Can these differences be compensated for with computer software?

Which lenses are you comparing? If the lens is a variable aperture zoom (eg: f/3.5-5.6) then the settings would differ since the largest aperture changes with focal length.

It's a little unclear whether the comparisons are for shots of the same thing. I'm all for controlled experiments - only one variable at a time.

What Charlie said

Which lenses are you comparing? If the lens is a variable aperture zoom (eg: f/3.5-5.6) then the settings would differ since the largest aperture changes with focal length.

It's a little unclear whether the comparisons are for shots of the same thing. I'm all for controlled experiments - only one variable at a time.

Damn.... back to the drawing board.

Damn.... back to the drawing board.

It's all good. I have a couple of sets on my Flickr page where I've compared a couple of different things.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back