Comparison tool for portrait lenses with REAL images

Did you try to get the actual aperture size the SAME for each comparison, ie actually do the math to see what setting would be the same on the 35mm focal length as well as the 200mm focal length? not doing so can be one source of optical error.
Do you mean the t-stop? How would I calculate or even set that. I have to rely on the camera settings to set the f-numbers. I think people are still not understanding that these images are real. I did shoot these images with real cameras and didn't manipulate anything on them. Then I uploaded them and created a database file that links to the images when the settings are chosen in the dropdown list.

Did you try to get the actual aperture size the SAME for each comparison, ie actually do the math to see what setting would be the same on the 35mm focal length as well as the 200mm focal length? not doing so can be one source of optical error.
Do you mean the t-stop? How would I calculate or even set that. I have to rely on the camera settings to set the f-numbers. I think people are still not understanding that these images are real. I did shoot these images with real cameras and didn't manipulate anything on them. Then I uploaded them and created a database file that links to the images when the settings are chosen in the dropdown list.

T stop is the amount of light the lens itself lets through the bottom of the lens and into the camera, that will differ between lens mounts. FD is slightly bigger then EF mount, etc.

I mean the actual diameter of the aperture. Aperture is what the f stop/f number refers to. diameter of that opening in ratio to the focal length of the lens.

I understand that its common for people to simply say that the f/ stop is identical between lenses and brands, as if it was a specific sized bolt or machine screw. But when you actually set down and do the mathematical calculations to get an aproximate diameter for the opening at each setting for each lens, you can start to see real world differences.

With all due respect, I cannot see how that would help people. Also: how would that make people decide for a different lens or make them think to buy e.g. an 85mm rather than 50mm - or make any other lens choice.
I think people all too often make photography look way too complicated. This is a beginner forum and we are discussing highly advanced topics that will very likely shy beginners away.
I'm sure you have the best intentions, but how would I incorporate that in a way that would help people in any way.

living on the f stop as an empirical number that never varies CREATES massive confusion for people trying to figure out a lens.

They get sucked up so quickly into it because the kit lens they have is only a 55mm f/2.8 but not "as good" as the 50mm f/2.4 that costs 3 times as much. Put things into actual aperture diameter and theyll learn the difference is truly just a question of "is 10% better optics, that only will be of benefit 10-15% of the time WORTH an exra 9-1200"?
I have a facebook beginner group with 60.000 members, but I haven't yet seen this being an issue. The kit lens usually is f/5.6 @55mm. And beside having other issues, comparing it to e.g. the very popular 50mm f/1.8 that has a very low price point will give them more than 3 stops of additional light beside other things. If maybe that f/1.8 is just an f/2.4 would make a difference, but would not be a buying decision. Beside that light is usually not the only decision for buying a lens (e.g. Canons f/1.4 lens).

Most reactions

New Topics

Back