Compatability of Parts with Lighting Stand - Need Opinion

Count

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I'm looking to buy my first lighting stand with umbrella swivel and am hoping somebody can provide insight.

I'm looking at a Manfrotto stand but am wondering about compatability of flash with the parts. if I buy this light stand:
Manfrotto 1052BAC Alu Air Cushioned Compact Stand, Black 1052BAC

Will this umbrella adaptor and flash shoe adapter all fit?

Manfrotto 026 Swivel Umbrella Adapter (Lite-Tite) 026 B&H Photo

Also - will a Nikon cable to connect the camera to the flash unit work with this hardware???
Nikon SC-29 TTL Off-Camera Shoe Cord with AF Assist - Coiled

I apologize for the newbie questions. I just want to make sure I'm getting the right gear the first time without having to return.

Also - if somebody has suggestions for a cheaper (but very durable) setup, please feel free to recommend!!!

YES, that is ALL inter-operable standardized stuff...the SC-29 has a threaded foot that will fit the brass spigot shown in the swivel picture, and the swivel mount adapter will slide right down onto the brass fitting that comes with the lightstand. 1,2,3,SHOOT!

You WILL have to be somewhat close to tghe umbrella and flash with the SC-29 TTL cord connecting the flash to the camera....but..it will work. I use the very similar SC-28 TTL Nikon remote cord. Underneath the flash foot end of the SC-28 and SC-29 is a standard, 1/4 x 20 National Coarse 'tripod" female fitting...that is what accepts the 1/4x20 "nub" end of the brass "spigot".

The spigot is the removeable brass fitting. One end of the spigot has as 1/4" x20 male nub, the other is the larger 3/8 inch threaded male nub.

YES, that is ALL inter-operable standardized stuff...the SC-29 has a threaded foot that will fit the brass spigot shown in the swivel picture, and the swivel mount adapter will slide right down onto the brass fitting that comes with the lightstand. 1,2,3,SHOOT!

You WILL have to be somewhat close to tghe umbrella and flash with the SC-29 TTL cord connecting the flash to the camera....but..it will work. I use the very similar SC-28 TTL Nikon remote cord. Underneath the flash foot end of the SC-28 and SC-29 is a standard, 1/4 x 20 National Coarse 'tripod" female fitting...that is what accepts the 1/4x20 "nub" end of the brass "spigot".

The spigot is the removeable brass fitting. One end of the spigot has as 1/4" x20 male nub, the other is the larger 3/8 inch threaded male nub.

In the umbrella swivel picture (there's one that shows it holding the umbrella) I'm not seeing a spot for the shoe adapter. Am I missing something?

On the B&H site, this photo shows the brass spigot on the left, and the swivel adapter right: 546375.jpg

The brass fitting shown in the lower left is the "spigot"...on one end, the 1/4x20 threaded end, it threads in to the SC-29's 1/4x20 female hole, then the spigot is dropped into the top hole on the swivel clamp, and then that galvanized steel T-clamp is tightened, locking the spigot into place.

This is the standard way these things have been made for 30+ years.

One of the limitations in using the coiled cord (SC-29) is that it will want to "spring back" toward the camera, so get something heavy to hold the light stand in place while you take the picture.

A cheaper, and more versatile setup will be using inexpensive radio triggers. Some people like the cheap Yonguno brand, and say they work well, although I have no experience with them myself. So a pair of them would take the place of the SC-29. One goes on the camera and one goes on the bottom of the speedlight.

One of the limitations in using the coiled cord (SC-29) is that it will want to "spring back" toward the camera, so get something heavy to hold the light stand in place while you take the picture.

A cheaper, and more versatile setup will be using inexpensive radio triggers. Some people like the cheap Yonguno brand, and say they work well, although I have no experience with them myself. So a pair of them would take the place of the SC-29. One goes on the camera and one goes on the bottom of the speedlight.

I would love wireless triggers. Read that Pocketwizard is great but it adds $130 to every unit added. Are there any users here who regularly use a cheaper system?

On the B&H site, this photo shows the brass spigot on the left, and the swivel adapter right: 546375.jpg

The brass fitting shown in the lower left is the "spigot"...on one end, the 1/4x20 threaded end, it threads in to the SC-29's 1/4x20 female hole, then the spigot is dropped into the top hole on the swivel clamp, and then that galvanized steel T-clamp is tightened, locking the spigot into place.

This is the standard way these things have been made for 30+ years.

Derrel,
Is there another umbrella swivel with the flash mount attached that you would recommend? The Manfrotto flash shoe piece seems to be poorly reviewed. Or another mount and flash shoe separate. Any thoughts?

Thanks again for your insight. It wil save me a lot of headache. I owe you a drink.

I would love wireless triggers. Read that Pocketwizard is great but it adds $130 to every unit added. Are there any users here who regularly use a cheaper system?
Plenty of us do. I'm one of them. I'm using as many as 8 Yongnuo RF-603 series triggers with never a problem. They're about $30-$35 a pair from Amazon.

I regularly use them with my Canon and Yongnuo speedlights (4 altogether) and a variety of studio strobes (6 altogether). Never a problem. Ever. I put them around corners, inside and behind every kind of light modifier you can think of, on the other side of windows and doors, etc. No problems.

All that despite some folks who will tell you that they suck, even though they don't seem to have any actual experience with them.

I also have a more expensive set of Radio Poppers; 1 PX transmitter and 2 PX receivers to run ETTL on my Canon 580EXII Speedlites, and 4 more JrX receivers for my studio lights. I almost never use them anymore, and will probably put them up for sale on eBay soon, since the cheap Yongnuos are working just as well for me and are, frankly, easier to set up and use quickly, and I rarely ever use ETTL in ways that aren't covered already by Canon's IR communication system indoors. If I ever DO need that additional ETTL capability that the Radio Poppers afforded me, Yongnuo now has that covered as well for a fraction of the price.

Guess I should go see what the going prices are on them, before they drop even further...

Plenty of us do. I'm one of them. I'm using as many as 8 Yongnuo RF-603 series triggers with never a problem. They're about $30-$35 a pair from Amazon.

I regularly use them with my Canon and Yongnuo speedlights (4 altogether) and a variety of studio strobes (6 altogether). Never a problem. Ever. I put them around corners, inside and behind every kind of light modifier you can think of, on the other side of windows and doors, etc. No problems.

All that despite some folks who will tell you that they suck, even though they don't seem to have any actual experience with them.

I also have a more expensive set of Radio Poppers; 1 PX transmitter and 2 PX receivers to run ETTL on my Canon 580EXII Speedlites, and 4 more JrX receivers for my studio lights. I almost never use them anymore, and will probably put them up for sale on eBay soon, since the cheap Yongnuos are working just as well for me and are, frankly, easier to set up and use quickly, and I rarely ever use ETTL in ways that aren't covered already by Canon's IR communication system indoors. If I ever DO need that additional ETTL capability that the Radio Poppers afforded me, Yongnuo now has that covered as well for a fraction of the price.

Guess I should go see what the going prices are on them, before they drop even further...

Thanks for chiming in Buckster. Do you know if they have a Nikon version? Every time I try to search a specific item by brand, it pulls up a million options.

Thanks for chiming in Buckster. Do you know if they have a Nikon version? Every time I try to search a specific item by brand, it pulls up a million options.
Yeah, Yongnuo designates their gear with an "n" for Nikon and a "c" for Canon. So, for instance, I have the RF-603c transceivers. The Nikon equivalent are the RF-603n transceivers.

Linky: Amazon.com: Yongnuo RF-603N

They also have newer triggers, some with TTL capabilities, if that interest you.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Yongnuo triggers seem good for Chinese-made cheapies...it's their flash units that suck so bad. Crap warranty, HUGE DOA rate, no support, half-baked features, imitation quality control, and cheap, and thousands of poorly trained,Chinese-almost-slave laborers that crank them out.

As David Hobby of Strobist wrote,

"Test Drive: Yongnuo YN-560

UPDATE: AVOID. IT'S A DOG.

Six months in, there have been enough reports of dead or dodgy YN-560s that I cannot in good faith recommend this flash. IMO, if they would put $5 more into build quality and tweak the interface, they could have (or, could have had) a real winner.

Here is a direct quote, from a retailer who sold them in the UK:

"I had piles of dead ones out of the hundreds we bought. We sold them off as dead in batches of 10 for $10 a piece. Other than a fail as soon as we tested before shipping, some were brand new. But YongNuo offer resellers only a 30 day warranty, and it has to get to them inside the 30 days. That's two weeks shipping from them, 2-3 weeks to return = no warranty."

NICE!!! Chinese crap. Some work, others do not. They break down. In huge numbers. They look good, but often don't last long. If you are lucky enough to buy a good one, or from a good batch, then you're lucky. But--this is the thing: do not let brand fanboys convince you that since "THIER" UNIT OR UNITS are problem-free that there are therefore "no issues"... See, that's called a canard...a fancy French word for a lie.

We see that a LOT in the internet age...like the D800 owners who swore up and down that there was "no problem" with the focusing system..or the D600 users who fired 50 frames and said there was "no oil issue". OOOPS!!! Seems like there were HUGE problems on a substantial % of those cameras. AND YET, the Nikon fanboys shouted down anybody who dared offend their Holy Brand...

A person does not have to take a bullet to the head to know that a bullet to the head can kill. A smart person does not need to drink poison to know it is poison. A smart person can smell a pile of dog feces without stepping in it. There's no need to experience the stench of dog sh!+ on one's shoes to know that it is dog sh!+. Yongy triggers work, much of the time. And some of their flashes work for more than a year too. But a lot of them seem to be dead within weeks...of course, that's the experience of thousands of people, not just one lucky guy...

Last edited:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back