Competition between smartphones cameras and digital cameras

Dimakatso Maphalla

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
What is the impact of iPhone 11 Pro Max in the photography world?

I do not own an iPhone, but I imagine the ease of use of these cameras has probably persuaded more than one novice to not buy a proper camera.

I gave up on Apple stuff years ago so I dunno but Dean above has a great point.

I find current flahship phones work very well for snapshots and in the moment pictures when you dont have time to break out your DSLR or dont have it on you. When you are looking for something more specific in creativity is where they fall flat. Depth of field, hard to capture lighting, and zoom dont work well on phones. I have seen some apps try to replicate these aspects but they dont seem to work well enough. Recently phones has been getting better at low light but not to the point of exceeding a long exposure.

My opinion is phones are now a viable tool for pictures and work well in a lot of situations but dont come close to replacing DSLR's yet.

IMO, cell phones cannot match the overall quality of a larger sensor and selective focusing capabilities.
A cell phone has a short focus extreme wide angle lens that is manufactured to maximize the image.

But when you compare the overall quality of a 1;1.7 sensor to a 43.8 x 32.9mm sensor, there is no comparison.

its like trying to compare a Chevy Corsica to a BMW M5.

What is the impact of iPhone 11 Pro Max in the photography world?
Not a lot, IMO.

Photography enthusiasts will usually prefer a regular camera. A smart phone camera is handy because it is always with us, but the differences between the two platforms are real and significant.

I own an iPhone X and quite honestly, I think the camera sucks. It regularly blows out the highlights and Apple's editing software is horrible. My wife has a phone from a different maker and the camera is much better, but not a comparison to a digital camera, like my Z7. No comparison at all, actually.

I've always thought the cameras in Samsung and LG phone were much better than iPhones. Between work and personal I've had quite a few of each and iPhone cameras always seemed just so-so.

Phone cameras have replaced the cultural function of the instamatic and polaroid cameras. But probably will never touch a purpose built camera. The quality of the glass, size of sensors, and the abilities to change lens are hurdle's that phones simply can't match. And not likely to ever match.

The same as any new model of phone.

It may improve some InstaSnapFace images but for the most part it will have no impact.

I view my phone camera as the 'always with me' camera for use when my main camera is not at hand. It's not an ideal replacement as IQ is well below my bigger camera, so I often need to find an interesting angle to make up for the limitations.

Similar to when we go to an event with just one prime lens - it can help creativity trying to work around the limitations.

Cell phone cameras and their associated PP capability are good at lower resolution (lower detail) wide angle shots, including portraits, to be posted on social media or for making smaller prints. They are convenient as everyone has one on them and require very little skill to operate. We have all seen cell phone photographs getting awards and there are many seminars and even college level photography classes on getting the most from a cell phone camera. DxoMark.com has added cell phone camera ratings to their well respected camera and lens testing database. There are more photographs and videos taken with cell phones than with any other type of camera. If a cell phone camera gives you what you need for the type of photography you do and how you display your work, use it. I use my cell phone when I don't have a dslr with me, but much prefer my dslrs. dslrs have a much larger dynamic range, ability to change perspective with zooms or different focal length primes, control of DOF, control white point, have a much larger shutter speed range to freeze motion or to blur it as desired, capture much more detail, and give me much more flexibility in Post Processing. What tool would you choose for wildlife / birding? Personally, I like the portraits I get with my D850 45.7mp camera with an 85mm f/1.8 and detail I get in landscapes using a 14-24mm f/2.8 wide angle zoom compared to the results I get with my 12mp iphone, which only gives me jpgs, so all the decisions are made for me by the person who programmed the PP software in the phone.

So what impact will a new iphone camera have on me - none. On the photography world in general, very little for enthusiasts and professionals.

But more to another point that I think the OP is also looking for.
given the advancement of the various cell phone cameras, the real question is will the impact of the iPhone (fill in the blank version) going to change the actual approach to the world of photography.

In my opinion, and at this time, not much.

Gadgets are gadgets. But when the fundamental application is changed, that when one needs to take notice.

The op has been on the site one day for 11 minutes, and has made one single post. Not even worth a response.

The op has been on the site one day for 11 minutes, and has made one single post. Not even worth a response.

I think that the OP isn't likely to be the only person wondering about this, so not a bad topic to revisit.

I think that the OP isn't likely to be the only person wondering about this, so not a bad topic to revisit.

Perhaps it is not a bad idea to revisit
this topic, but at the same time I think the original post was merely a troll . We have had a lot of one-time posters hit and run post.

Last edited:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back