Complete Beginner: Searching For First DSLR Within Price Range

syrusisgayforjay

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Last edited:
I think that is an excellent option. But I would go to B&H and get the D5100 w/18-55mm lens, and extra battery (non-OEM) and a SanDisk class 10 16GB Memory card for $596.95 (and no tax).

Then if you are interested in a telephoto lens (and going over budget) you could add the 55-300mm VR lens for $246.95 after a $150 instant rebate when you buy with the camera. And it includes a UV filter and (a cheap) circular polarizer.

You can also consider buying used or factory refurbished.

Its better to get a memory card that is a class 10 16G card, its better when it comes to taking video
Heres a great one from Best Buy. I use canon rebel also with both these lenses and memory card and it fits your budget:
Canon Rebel T3 DSLR Camera Body,18-55mm Lens, 75-300mm Lens, Bag, Memory Card
Also invest in getting a UV filter which will help keep dust off your lens and is easy to clean if needed, and helps not get you lens get scratched up. Cheap also.

Don't just read on them, go into a store and handle them, see which one fits you, see which one has controls that make the most sense to you....consider the lens line up..consider what type of photography you want to do....everyone has their opinions on the best camera(s)...but YOU will be the one using whatever it is you wind up with.

Camera Reviews

http://www.photographytalk.com/compare-prices/camera-buying-guide?pt=6

Digital Photography Review

Compare digital cameras - Snapsort

Equipment & Reviews | What Digital Camera

Thank you all for your suggestions thus far! I have updated the original post with a second camera choice.

RyanParker is dead on, you need to go hold them. Maybe it is cause I am so used to Nikon now, but man, Canon's feel super weird to me.

I am certain the Pentax is a swell camera. But if you think down the road this may become a bigger hobby / side gig of any sort, sticking with one of the big 2 has advantages. Abundance of lenses, most new gear directed towards them, friends with benefits (aka borrow friends gear) etc. I mean no disrespect to Pentax.

I too, am looking to get back into photography - enjoyed it tremendously in college!! I like to do both video and still shots... I'm trying to work with a tight budget. Suggestions? I'm drawn to the Canon.. but can't afford the really good quality top of the line stuff. Is the Rebel a decent camera for the $.. plus, any ideas on how much video I am limited to shooting? like 5 minutes or something?.. and one more thing (sorry, I'm asking a lot of questions...) ideas for taking refresher course on photography in my area?.. thank you kindly. :D

i have the d5100 18-55,55-300 lens, i enjoy it ,great 1st. camera

RyanParker is dead on, you need to go hold them. Maybe it is cause I am so used to Nikon now, but man, Canon's feel super weird to me.

I am certain the Pentax is a swell camera. But if you think down the road this may become a bigger hobby / side gig of any sort, sticking with one of the big 2 has advantages. Abundance of lenses, most new gear directed towards them, friends with benefits (aka borrow friends gear) etc. I mean no disrespect to Pentax.

You obviously haven't laid hands on the sexy body of a 5d mark III or 6d...;)

I too, am looking to get back into photography - enjoyed it tremendously in college!! I like to do both video and still shots... I'm trying to work with a tight budget. Suggestions? I'm drawn to the Canon.. but can't afford the really good quality top of the line stuff. Is the Rebel a decent camera for the $.. plus, any ideas on how much video I am limited to shooting? like 5 minutes or something?.. and one more thing (sorry, I'm asking a lot of questions...) ideas for taking refresher course on photography in my area?.. thank you kindly. :D

My first DSLR was (and still is) a canon 350D, awesome camera, I'd say go for it.

How much video you can shoot depends more on the quality (VGA, 720, 1080) of the video and how much storage you have, i.e. you can shoot for longer if you have 32 GB of storage than if you only have 8 GB of storage.

Why not buy some books on photography? They might be more useful than a course because you can refer back to them any time. Also hit up YouTube I'm sure you will probably find something useful there.

the canon t4i can take 29 minutes of video. thats what I have and I love the touch screen. Makes changing settings so much easier

My first DSLR was a D5100 and I loved it. I still use it as a backup camera today. I think you would be very pleased with it. I would recommend going through B&H Photo, however, as was previously suggested. They have a great kit and great prices. I must admit, though, I got my D5100 at Best Buy because they were having a sale. Check around for prices as each place is not necessarily going to have the same price or package!

Most reactions

Back