Complete beginner!

www.roberthein.dk

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi everyone,

First to make it clear if the subject doesn't tell it.. i have no experience what so ever.. have a Canon Digital IXUS!

Now it might be a hard to answer question, but i would like somene to help me what could be a good beginner equipment, and as cheap as possible.. but the pictures that i'm looking after to take, i believe is not super advanced, its just not possible with my little Canon Digital IXUS

Here is a sample of what i want.. (Picture of my buddy)

6789.jpg

Love the warm colors and the dark background, i know the photographer (my mate, used some external blitz that he just held n the hand.)

Here is what i dont want.. Its a typical party picture, they get grainy or too much blitz, and boring colors, no depth!

2345.jpg

If anyone could give some advice on what equipment could be a fine start, it would be much appreciated, and again im looking at a cheap solution, without any idea of budget, as i dont know anything about gear needed. :sexywink:

Kind regards
Robert Hein
Robert Hein | Hello[at]roberthein.dk | +66 80 520 6 520

Last edited:
wow really nobody who can give some feedback on this ? i didnt though it was that complicated! huh! :(

Okay, so this is my take. The second photo may help with some correct white balance (makes the colors warm or cold), and also, maybe some fill flash.

On a lot of P&S cameras, the flash only fires at one strength. So whenever you are in a place, it just fires and sometimes is wayy to bright.

But a DSLR, will have what they call fill flash. It will see before the shot is taken how much light is needed, and then only use that much. Its really cool, and it really really really helps when you're trying to get a shot just right.

Anyway, I'm kind of a beginner myself, so this is all I know. But I hope it helps you out!

I wouldn't worry about your pics; hasn't been that long ago mine looked comparable to what your showing. I went to this site PHOTOGRAPHY EQUIPMENT | PHOTO LIGHTING | BACKDROPS | STUDIO ACCESSORIES and I've never regretted it. They have beginner equipment and also advanced equipment both. If you can't find something or have questions they're more than happy to help if you call them. I'd give them a try.

For equipment, I would defiantly hit e-bay or keh.com to get some really decent used stuff. I say this because newer, higher level-than P&S cameras will cost a bit more. But you can get them relatively cheaply. Don't worry so much about equipment at this point, just a good setup. A low end Canon Rebel, or Nikon will do just fine. Start w/ a lower end lens if that is all you can afford, or poss. a camera "kit" (camera body and lens.) Then start shooting. learn as much as humanly possible on the subject. knowledge is power here. Then put into practice what you read. Just try it out.

As for the pics, good start. If that is your genre, then look into fast shutter speeds, and fast lenses. (eventually will not be cheap, but start low anyway.) Carry a good flash, not a low end flash mind you. (Cycle times slower) Then go and play.

Most reactions

Back