Complete lens

choudhrysaab

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi everyone ... I'm not sure if this question has been asked before but what do you guys say about people buying the 18-250mm lens (complete lens)? obviously it beats carrying around all different types of lenses. one lens does the job from being wide angle to telephoto. I've been told its not really a good idea but then again since i'm not a pro so I just shoot because photography is my hobby.

Thanx for reading/replying

Abi

If you are looking for a backpack solution that might be it. If you are looking for a tool that you have to strive to grow with, this is not the best option. The reason is that no zoom of that range will give you the quality.

I am a big fan of zooms, and I have sometimes wished for a lens of that range, but it would find limited use.

I currently use the Canon 28-70 f/2.4L USM, and the Canon 70-200 f/2.8L USM IS.

I recently sold two prime lens as I needed to limit the transport weight.
If the two that I use were not L Glass I am sure I would have choosen a more limited zoom.

Well, IMO, the main point of an SLR is having the option of switching lenses that have the capability of having different functions. Each of my lenses has a specific purpose, and has the capability of accomplishing that purpose very well. When you begin to build multifunction lenses, compromises have to be made in order to keep them affordable.

Asking everything of one lense is like asking for Ferrari to build a Mack truck that can pull 30 tons to 100mph in 5 seconds, get 100mpg, and look good doing it....

Forgive the novice input but, I've heard such lenses do suffer from slight barrel creep. So unless you're holding the camera level, depending on which direction you were pointing up or down the focal length (Thanks Dwig) may shift. As for that particular lens, I'm not sure if such applies for the lens that was subject to creep was the nikon 18-200.

Last edited:
Are you talking about the Canon EF-S 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6 IS lens or the Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4.0-5.6 IS lens? Or is this a lens from another company?

...I've heard such lenses do suffer from slight barrel creep. So unless you're holding the camera level, depending on which direction you were pointing up or down the focal point may shift...

Its not the "focal point" that can shift, its the "focal length".

When a zoom lens changes focal length by moving a grip/collar/ring forward and backward, either moving internal elements or extending the whole lens, there is a tendency for gravity to cause the lens to zoom when the control is not being held. Thiss happens only when the camera is used on a tripod or similar support. When properly held, it never happens. If it happens when you are handholding the camera and lens you are holding it incorrectly, period.

Lens of the type that to OP terms "complete lens" are compromises. First, they are never really an everything lens. Secondly, they tend to be the classic "Jack of All Trades but Master of None" type of device. Still, they can be very useful. I carry a Swiss Army knife with multiple useful tools. I've better tools for each of those functions, but the SA knife is easy to carry and often the only version of a particular tool at hand, the others being in a tool box at home.

Sigma 18-250 or the Tamron 18-270 are the super compact zooms. Like mentioned above they are the jack of all type lenses. Now, although they do have limitations, slow max apertures, some distortions of the shots, maybe some lens creep. They are a very good general purpose lens. I would not have one for my only lens. But for a general purpose, I don't want to carry that giant / heavy bag type lens. It does have its usefullness.

Now remember they are a good "general" purpose lens. Obviously with their range and price point they can't compete with the best primes in each of the ranges it covers. But they do put out a decent picture. As long as your not expecting absolute perfection with your shots, it may fit you well.

I have been knocking around buying the Tamron 18-270 for several months now to use with my D40x as a travel lens. I have so many other items to bring with me on my trips for work. I don't have room even for a smaller photo bag. Right now I carry the D40x and the 18-55 kit lens. But I figured once I get some extra cash I will pick up the Tamron.

I am just a hobbyist, and have recently got back into photography. The only lens I have is the 18-200 (Nikon). Sure it is a little slower than others. It does have some distortion (both barrel and pincushion - depending on focal length). I haven't had an issue with lens creep, but it will extend out when hanging down at your side.

But for me, I love it. It has taken many excellent pictures (to me). I never know exactly what I am going to shoot, so this gives me many options for composition. I do find that I use either the wide end or the telephoto end the most and the middle area doesn't get much use.

However inside shots at night are a bit tuff. I hope to buy the Nikon 35 1.8 soon to solve the problems of inside shots. I also hope to get a wider angle at some time, and am looking at the Tokina 12-24 as well as the Nikon 10-24.

If buying the "Jack of all trades" lens helps you go out and take more photos, then you should consider it a good purpose.

I have the Sigma 18-250 and freaking love it! It's an awesome lens so long as you accept what it is. If you expect it to be like having an 18-35 f/2.8, 35-70 f/2.8 and 70-200 f/2.8 then you'll be disappointed.

For me it's the perfect day lens with the family on trips to the zoo, little league, fireworks, etc. I think the quality is excellent and they've done a great job putting a lot of lens into a nice 'one size fits most' package.

I recommend it.

If you're looking for some sample images:

576640447_MVjQb-M.jpg

574636617_wCbpX-M.jpg

And a couple for an idea of the range you get...

From this:
574634583_DyPJN-M.jpg

To this:
574634763_ai3QL-M.jpg

I have the Sigma 18-250 and freaking love it! It's an awesome lens so long as you accept what it is. If you expect it to be like having an 18-35 f/2.8, 35-70 f/2.8 and 70-200 f/2.8 then you'll be disappointed.

For me it's the perfect day lens with the family on trips to the zoo, little league, fireworks, etc. I think the quality is excellent and they've done a great job putting a lot of lens into a nice 'one size fits most' package.

I recommend it.

If you're looking for some sample images:

576640447_MVjQb-M.jpg

574636617_wCbpX-M.jpg

And a couple for an idea of the range you get...

From this:
574634583_DyPJN-M.jpg

To this:
574634763_ai3QL-M.jpg
Thanks for that. It tells me what I was hoping to learn when I decided to read this thread.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back